Narrowband

I'm thinking of setting up a meteor radar detector system using Graves, a 3 element yagi in the loft, a RTL SDR dongle and an old XP laptop.

Before I start on the hardware I thought I'd look at the software side. I've downloaded and installed Spectrum lab and the Sky at Night configuration files, it installed and appears to run fine on the old laptop. However I believe I'll also need SDR# to tune the SDR. I've downloaded this and the download claims to be x86 however when I try running SDR# on the 32bit XP laptop I'm getting an error message saying that it's not a valid 32 win application. I've tried downloading it a couple of times in case the download was corupt but get the same results. Has anyone tried running SDR# on XP? Or does anyone have any idea why I'm getting the problem.

Thank you
James

You don't need SDR# at all. It's good for testing as easier to set up than Spectrum Lab but not needed to make the latter work.

You just need to ensure that your chosen SDR dongle comes with an ExtIO.dll driver to interface with Spectrum Lab. I use the NooElec NedSDR which works fine.

Thanks IanL, that was the dongle I was thinking of getting, do you know where I can get a copy of the dell? I read somewhere that SDR# was needed to tune the radio.  I can't see how to do that directly from Spectrum Lab.

James

Just go to the "downloads" section of this page. Instructions and downloads are all there. The installation guide is also there:

https://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr/sdr-receivers/nesdr/nesdr-smart-sdr.html

Basically plug in the dongle and let windows install the default driver. Then run the Zadig installer to replace the default driver with the modified one. Your SDR dongle is now ready to work with SDR#, HSDR, etc.

To get it working with Spectrum Lab first install Spectrum Lab, then copy the ExtIO....dll file from the HSDR installer zip to the Spectrum Lab folder.

In SL you select the ExtIO...dll file as the audio input device.

Tuning is just a matter of typing the desired frequency in the VFO box on the main SL screen and hitting enter.

9 hours ago, IanL said:

Just go to the "downloads" section of this page. Instructions and downloads are all there. The installation guide is also there:

https://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr/sdr-receivers/nesdr/nesdr-smart-sdr.html

Basically plug in the dongle and let windows install the default driver. Then run the Zadig installer to replace the default driver with the modified one. Your SDR dongle is now ready to work with SDR#, HSDR, etc.

To get it working with Spectrum Lab first install Spectrum Lab, then copy the ExtIO....dll file from the HSDR installer zip to the Spectrum Lab folder.

In SL you select the ExtIO...dll file as the audio input device.

Tuning is just a matter of typing the desired frequency in the VFO box on the main SL screen and hitting enter.

Thank you, that's a great help.

Archived