Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

johnturley

Astro Eclipse Trip to South America

Posted (edited)

Has anybody else on this forum booked an itinery with the above company to see the Total Eclipse of the Sun from South America this July.

With only just over 3 months to the scheduled departure date of 28 June, I'm getting increasinly concerned that I've still not received any detailed information regarding flights, and hotels, or even which airport we will be departing from (I was planning on booking an airport hotel for the night prior to departure), and no further details of the itinery other than those when I first booked the trip about 18 months ago.

I keep ringing them up every couple of weeks, and they keep telling me that they will send me further details shortly, but that has been happening since January. I've already paid them more than two thirds of the cost of the trip, but at least they are ATOL protected, and all my payments were made using a credit card.

John

Edited by johnturley

Sorry to hear about Astro Eclipse lack of communication. We used them last year for the Wyoming eclipse and found their service quite adequate (barring the quality of some hotels.... )

This year we've booked with Astrotrails, which is the company we have always used and they have been good in communicating with newsletters. We view the eclipse from Bella Vista which will be also the Astro Eclipse site, the difference I believe is that we stay in San Juan and Astro Eclipse in Rodeo, a small village just outside Bella Vista. I think the accommodation there is listed on their website: something or other "cabines" .

We booked our international  flights separately to Buenos Aires, then on tour to SanJuan , Atacama desert, Cerro Paranal (VLT), Santiago and back.

2 minutes ago, Ceramus said:

Sorry to hear about Astro Eclipse lack of communication. We used them last year for the Wyoming eclipse and found their service quite adequate (barring the quality of some hotels.... )

This year we've booked with Astrotrails, which is the company we have always used and they have been good in communicating with newsletters. We view the eclipse from Bella Vista which will be also the Astro Eclipse site, the difference I believe is that we stay in San Juan and Astro Eclipse in Rodeo, a small village just outside Bella Vista. I think the accommodation there is listed on their website: something or other "cabines" .

We booked our international  flights separately to Buenos Aires, then on tour to SanJuan , Atacama desert, Cerro Paranal (VLT), Santiago and back.

Hi Ceramus

Thanks for your reply

I've previously trips booked Eclipse trips with Explorers Travel Club (Brian McGee's company) which I think now goes  by the name of Astrotrails, most recently the 2012 Australia Eclipse. The reason I booked with Astro Eclipse this time is that they were offering an itinery including visiting Machu Picchu, and at the time I booked Astrotails appeared only offering a trip which included visting the Chilean Observatories, which was also more expensive. I understand however that they've subsequently added on options including visiting Machu Picchu and other locations.

John   

Yes, we booked our first eclipse with Explores to Venezuela when Brian was still in charge. It included Machu Pichu wich is unmissable, quite an experience in every way ( it rained heavily they day after our visit there and we were nearly stranded at the top of the mountain). It all went well in the end, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Not impressed by Astro Eclipse at all, only after someone on SGL sent me an email, did I find out that the probable departute date (which still has not been finalised) will probably be on 27 June (evening flight), despite it saying in all the information on line and what they have sent me, that the departure date was 28 June. My wife now needs to try to book an extra days holiday off work, and we need to book our dog in at the kennels for an extra day.

In addition they were not helpful at all when in came to checking visa and vacination requirements.

John