Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8" F5 Newtonian Focuser?

Hi again,

Just very simple question, what do you suggest or recommend as a focuser for 8" F5 Newtonian? i heave Meade brand, and definitely i want to change the focuser sooner or later, so i want to see what do you recommend and i hope it can be transformed or adding autofocuser for it, and NOT FeatherTouch due to price.

20 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Tareq, one of the best reviews I have seen is for this one at First Light Optics, I am sure they will post to U.A.E:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Good luck!

I know FLO and i bought from them since 2017 without issues, great store r vendor.

I just not sure if this focuser in particular is good enough, i mean i am using Meade Newtonian, and many recommend to go with either FeatherTouch focuser or Moonlite focuser because of high quality and i know they are pricey, it is just if this SW version focuser can be used with an autofocuser somewhere with temp control then i will get it, otherwise i will feel it won't do the job much in all conditions or situations mainly when temp is changing, and also i am not sure about its load handling and no flexture, i am using a mono cooled camera with filter wheel connected to corrector which as going inside the focuser anyway.

I have used the Skywatcher dual speed focusser.

Unless you want to hang something really heavy on there, you can't go wrong.
Will the OTA flex if you hang a big camera on the focusser?

At the price they are very good.

I also have Moonlite and Baader Steeltrak focussers.
Very nice devices but only justified if the OTA is solid and you want to hang something heavy.

Hope this helps, David.

Hi Tareq, I see your predicament, but if you are not sure always go for the best you can afford, the Moonlites and the Steele Tracks are both beautiful examples of precision engineering.  I do not have a Newtonian Moonlite but one on my refractor for load-bearing, mainly heavy eyepieces.  I thoroughly recommend them. 

Ok, i received a quotation from Moonlite few days ago, the price is definitely high, expensive, but it is the full package, including the motor drive, so maybe this is the best thing i should do, in my LP red zone i really need to minimize a lot of issues, focusing is one of them, so i can focus on fixing another issues, i can't and will never handle to go out every night then i have to deal with 4-6 issues all at once, i don't have a permanent observatory, so i try to minimize issues and then i can enjoy doing imaging more.

Archived