Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Re-discovered visual astro, need eyepiece advice

Bobby1970

Thanks Louis, an interesting post.  Of course, I should have made it clear that I was talking only about 1.25 eyepieces when comparing eyepiece field of views and visibility of the edge of the field when wearing specs, sorry for not making this clear.  For various reasons I choose not to use 2 inch eyepieces :smile:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Thanks Louis, an interesting post.  Of course, I should have made it clear that I was talking only about 1.25 eyepieces when comparing eyepiece field of views and visibility of the edge of the field when wearing specs, sorry for not making this clear.  For various reasons I choose not to use 2 inch eyepieces :smile:

Quite understandable.  It's a real challenge for me to balance my heavy eyepieces on small scopes like my AT72ED and 127 Mak.

10 minutes ago, Louis D said:

It's a real challenge for me to balance my heavy eyepieces on small scopes like my AT72ED and 127 Mak.

This is possibly the worst excuse for aperture fever I've ever read :D

James

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

This is possibly the worst excuse for aperture fever I've ever read :D

James

I've got 8" and 15" Dobs as well, but I enjoy using different types of scopes just like I enjoy using different types of eyepieces.

So. I have been reading reviews of all sorts of low power 2" eyepieces. 

The Skywatcher Panaview 32mm sounds tempting. And the price sounds reasonable also. Around £70 seems fairly reasonable to me. I have also read some favourable reviews, even compared to more expensive eyepieces. 

However. Should I be concerned about exit pupil?

I am 48 years old and have worn specs since I was 2. My eyes are pretty bad. Lol and always have been. 

I understand that for this eyepiece, in my 250px dob, the exit pupil would be almost 7mm

So, will this be wasted on my old poor eyes?

Should I be looking at a slightly higher power wide angle eyepiece to better suit my eyes?

On 08/03/2019 at 10:39, pregulla said:

I think you have pretty nice eyepiece coverage and £70 won't change much.

This. I'd say all of the eyepieces you've listed there are respectable enough performers, especially on a slow scope like  Mak. I have the 25mm Ex-Cel and the equivalent SW Plossl and there is not much between them (the Ex-Cel has a slightly wider field and is maybe a touch better at the edges, the Plossl has the edge for control of glare and stray light).

If you're determined to spend some money, maybe increase the budget a little and go for the Explore Scientific 68 degree range. They're good value, and you might pick one up second hand in the right price range. 

I'd try to look through a wider eyepiece before you go above this, especially if you wear glasses. For me, seeing all of a sharp, well defined field stop in a single, comfortable view is an absolute must in an eyepiece. (If someone gave me an Ethos I'd sell it and buy some nice Plossls, because I genuinely prefer them). Others love them though, and I can understand why - it's personal taste. But at that end of the market I'd advise try before you buy.

Billy.

I'm 59 and find that my 21mm Ethos gets used a lot more for deep sky hunting than my 31mm Nagler with my 12 inch  F/5.3 dob. The 21mm produces a darker background sky generally and that helps pull the fainter objects out. The 31 is used for the largest deep sky targets (eg: the Veil Nebula) but most often the 21mm stays in the focuser for much of the night unless I need higher magnifications for smaller galaxies / nebulae. My observing site (back yard) has some light pollution but has some quite dark areas as well.

I think a 20-something mm 82 degree eyepiece with decent edge correction might be a better bet for your F/4.7 10" dob than the 32mm Panaview to be honest. Something like this (not my advert):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/meade-eyepiece/163587129407?hash=item26168d803f:g:XfMAAOSwCiRcg4T6

Archived