Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Finally feel happy all cases turned up and equipment has a safe place to live ?.

20190307_134253.jpg

20190307_134332.jpg

• Like 6

Where did you get the cases from?

Looks good!

Posted (edited)

Is it just me or is cut foam made to fit storage rather arousing??!! That looks great, well done!

Edited by PhotoGav
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, daz said:

Where did you get the cases from?

Looks good!

Case and luggage

Cases are ok if just for storage and you are  moving them. Just a little flimsy to trust other ppl to move.

38 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Is it just me or is cut foam made to fit storage rather arousing??!! That looks great, well done!

I think it's just you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

You might want to keep that to yourself. ?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

Case and luggage

Cases are ok if just for storage and you are  moving them. Just a little flimsy to trust other ppl to move.

I know exactly what you mean Fieldsy.

When I bought a pair of very heavy ( 7kg) 20/40 x 100 reflex binoculars that cost several hundred pounds, they came  in a very nice looking fitted "flight case" that actually bowed out along the handle side when it was picked up. It was totally inadequate even for personal use, let alone carriers.  I immediately bought a secondhand pro flight case via ebay of almost exactly the same size, and transferred the fitted foam lining. It's not as pristine to look at, but you could actually even stand on it now, and the twist/lock catches hold it shut like limpets.

I think it's all a question of how heavy the intended item is compared to its bulk, even for personal use.  If it's relatively light or small, then the plethora of cheap flight cases from suppliers like Amazon are fine. They don't add too much weight in themselves and they are quite well made, as long as there's no danger of them being handled roughly.

flight case.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek
  • Like 1

I cant even put one of the counter weights in let alone both of them .unfortunately they go in my rucksack ( nothing like having a extra 5kg on your back ?)

2 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

I cant even put one of the counter weights in let alone both of them .unfortunately they go in my rucksack ( nothing like having a extra 5kg on your back ?)

Don't have any regrets over that Fieldsy,  when I adapted a Peli case for my EQ5 I very optimistically included a nice space for one of the 5kg weights.  It was no good though, even though that case is very tough, the damn thing was then too heavy to lift ! ?.....

I ended up adapting a small camera bag with a wooden holder to take both weights.  I also sewed a car seat belt strap underneath it for safety. It's not too bad to carry because although it's now over 10kg, it's nicely padded and lays close to the body when carried vie the shoulder strap.

eq5 peli case.jpg

weights case 1.jpg

weights case 2.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

It was no good though, even though that case is very tough, the damn thing was then too heavy to lift ! ?.....

My A-Team Doscocil XL eyepiece case is getting on the heavy side with 3 Pentax XL/XW, 2 Morpheus, 1 Delos, 2 ES-92s, a 40mm Meade 5000 SWA, a 30mm ES-82, a 22mm NT4, a 30mm APM UFF, some 1.25" barlows, and a Vixen LV.  All told, it's about 7.5kg or about 16 pounds, not including the weight of the case.  I can't imagine trying to carry an EQ head and counterweights in a single case.

I figure if I go mobile with an EQ mount someday, I'll probably save up the $10k or so for a harmonic drive version that doesn't require counterweights just save my aging back.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2019 at 02:42, Astro-Geek said:

When I bought a pair of very heavy ( 7kg) 20/40 x 100 reflex binoculars that cost several hundred pounds, they came  in a very nice looking fitted "flight case" that actually bowed out along the handle side when it was picked up. It was totally inadequate even for personal use, let alone carriers.

Yes, that Chinese "Aluminum" isn't very strong.

Here's a photo of a Skywatcher 120ED "flight case" with a rip in it:

spacer.png

As the seller on CN Classifieds states:

"Has the normal damage to the silver case because the silver case is not made out of metal.. it is pressed & thin board with that pattern on it.. Genuine Chinese Imitation Aluminum !! .. and it is not very strong"

• Sad 1