Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Cjg

The Caldwell Catalogue

Recommended Posts

Am poised this May to catch the last 4 Messier objects I need to complete the 110, and with the bigger 125ED am looking for some new challenges. Can anyone recommend a decent book for the Caldwell Catalogue?

Thanks,

Chris

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The O'Meara book from his deep sky companions series is very good.  Some of the objects will require a trip down south though, so you may have to factor in the cost of a flight and small refractor !

andrew

 

caldwel_.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, I’ve been twice to the AstroFarm at Confolens with my Tak 76, so no problem heading South. I’ll take a look for the book you’ve recommended.

Chris

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

The O'Meara book from his deep sky companions series is very good.  Some of the objects will require a trip down south though, so you may have to factor in the cost of a flight and small refractor !

andrew

 

caldwel_.jpg

I've got this book and would recommend it to anyone. Look out for the second edition (2016) as it has updates for new developments compared to the original 2002 edition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris

How far south you intending coming

I am roughly 153deg, east, 27 deg south, about 600kms below the Tropic of Capricorn

Far enough for you

Attached link might be also of assistance

https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/caldwell/cldwlist.html

This morning when leaving home for work about 4-30am, had Scorpio directly over head with Venus, Jupiter and Saturn just above the eastern horizon

John

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first 67 caldwells are all higher declinations than the lowest messiers and so are all "gettable" from the UK, which should get you started.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Chris

How far south you intending coming

I am roughly 153deg, east, 27 deg south, about 600kms below the Tropic of Capricorn

Far enough for you

Attached link might be also of assistance

https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/caldwell/cldwlist.html

This morning when leaving home for work about 4-30am, had Scorpio directly over head with Venus, Jupiter and Saturn just above the eastern horizon

John

Hi John, thank you very much for the link. Not quite as far South as you are. Santorini and a South facing beach this May will probably be the furthest South that I’ll get this year at least.

Cheers,

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

The first 67 caldwells are all higher declinations than the lowest messiers and so are all "gettable" from the UK, which should get you started.

Thank you, I like “gettable” ?

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a problem with the Caldwell "Catalogue". It's surely a blatant case of pliagerism .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chris. I don’t have a book on the Caldwell objects, but have a card showing their positions. I have a spare copy if it’s of interest to you. Pm me with your address and I will pop it in the post the first chance I get.

7C2BC146-3724-4D56-A1EE-5917B6B5003A.jpeg

9CEE1452-53F8-401E-90D9-CEE97FE11968.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, I've just seen your reply and kind offer! Will do, thank you!

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.