SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newby fIrst attempt at Rosette with DSLR

Heres my first attempt at a difficult subject. Taken on 24 Feb around 10 pm. The moon was around and the streetlights were still on in my Bortle 6 backyard not far from Heathrow.
Having noticed the size of this thing I stuck my Sony a5000 with an old 200mm F/3.5 tele onto the weight bar of the Exos2/Eq5with a U-Bolt. No filters. No tracking, just RA drive.
This is the result of 14 stacked images ISO 3200 30s stacked in DSS and stretched (still learning) in PaintShop Pro.

My focus was a bit out using the 'live view' (which hasn't helped) so Ive got a Bahtinov mask to use for next time.
Ive never seen this before having returned to astronomy just before Christmas after a break of 30+ years - so quite pleased even though its nothing like what the more seasoned users post ?

Rosette STx14b-pspB.jpg

Nice, you've captured some detail.  Focus does look a little off but not bad.  The mask will probably help.  Stars look fairly round to my inexperienced eye but some more experienced users may have more to say.  Good job - looking forward to the next one.

Nice! It is really thrilling to have things appear in the image that your eye can't see.

You might want to try more sub-exposures. You're fighting a bit of noise at 3200, and 30 seconds is of course not a lot of photons. So: LOTS of them!

(I'm not saying you're doing anything *wrong* by imaging at that ISO and that exposure time, given your location and equipment, mind you.)

Archived