Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best way to survey people interested in space?

haxoo

I am doing a research project for a class in user experience (disclaimer, I am 40...just trying to learn something new).  The project I selected relates to space, or specifically exoplanets.  As part of the project, we have to create a short survey (5-10 questions) to get potential users to fill out.  In a week plus, I have gotten only 10 submissions.  UGH.

Initially, I tried to post a link to the survey in a forum (not this one) and got booted right away for just posting the link.  Then, I thought Twitter would be a great way.  I was mistaken, or rather the approach I took (requesting people to fill it out) did not work.

As some of you are likely researchers, I am hoping I can get feedback or suggestions on how to get people to fill out the survey.  Maybe it is a different type of research you all do, but feel free to chime in if you have an idea.  I'm stuck, and would hate to drop the course because I am terrible at "cold calling" people.

Note...I am not posting the link here as I don't want to get booted from this site, too! 

It is possible to have a poll in your posts that people choose an answer from several options (though never done it myself). If not multiple choice answers then not sure. 

I would be tempted to message one of the moderators or admin staff and maybe include the link and ask them what is possible. All people currently on the forum can be found at bottom of main page and those in blue and green are the administrators and moderators.

It is always difficult when people who have just joined a forum use it for means other than what it is intended for which is why you probably got into trouble on the other forum so contact the correct people to ask what is possible.

Steve

36 minutes ago, haxoo said:

I am doing a research project for a class in user experience (disclaimer, I am 40...just trying to learn something new).  The project I selected relates to space, or specifically exoplanets.  As part of the project, we have to create a short survey (5-10 questions) to get potential users to fill out.  In a week plus, I have gotten only 10 submissions.  UGH.

Initially, I tried to post a link to the survey in a forum (not this one) and got booted right away for just posting the link.  Then, I thought Twitter would be a great way.  I was mistaken, or rather the approach I took (requesting people to fill it out) did not work.

As some of you are likely researchers, I am hoping I can get feedback or suggestions on how to get people to fill out the survey.  Maybe it is a different type of research you all do, but feel free to chime in if you have an idea.  I'm stuck, and would hate to drop the course because I am terrible at "cold calling" people.

Note...I am not posting the link here as I don't want to get booted from this site, too!  I'll try to add it to my profile.

Before you go any further, please read the Code of Conduct

30 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Before you go any further, please read the Code of Conduct

I'm not spamming (this is my first thread, the post I am typing is only the 3rd post), I am not selling anything or advertising anything, I am not farming/baiting/trolling.  I haven't actually posted the survey, I am just asking for feedback on how to go about this properly.  This seemed like a good place for that, no? 

I assume a fair number of visitors to this site have done research with humans, and often times there is a screening process before participants are contacted.  I am curious as to how that process works.  Having worked at a university, I have seen researchers use emailing to get results, so maybe that is the best approach.  No, I do not intend on farming email addresses from this site.  This also gets to the heart of my initial question...how do I better recruit? 

26 minutes ago, haxoo said:

I'm not spamming (this is my first thread, the post I am typing is only the 3rd post), I am not selling anything or advertising anything, I am not farming/baiting/trolling.  I haven't actually posted the survey, I am just asking for feedback on how to go about this properly.  This seemed like a good place for that, no? 

I assume a fair number of visitors to this site have done research with humans, and often times there is a screening process before participants are contacted.  I am curious as to how that process works.  Having worked at a university, I have seen researchers use emailing to get results, so maybe that is the best approach.  No, I do not intend on farming email addresses from this site.  This also gets to the heart of my initial question...how do I better recruit? 

Try Faceobook, -  Astro related Groups (not sites).

Of-course, explain why and what for, add link, - and hope Group admins will pass it through.

I am sure you will get some feedback.

Not sure if I qualify for your research, but you are welcome to drop me a direct message with a link

37 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Try Faceobook, -  Astro related Groups (not sites).

Of-course, explain why and what for, add link, - and hope Group admins will pass it through.

I am sure you will get some feedback.

Not sure if I qualify for your research, but you are welcome to drop me a direct message with a link

Thanks RolandKol! 

I am not on Facebook, so I will see if I can get a friend to post in on the groups.

Also, thanks for the offer.  I am going to avoid sending anyone on here the survey as I don't want to intrude/impose and would rather follow the discussions.

I believe you can pay for Facebook to promote your post to a selected audience, and it's only a few £/$ to get a potential audience of a few hundred interested users.

They'll be selected by their membership of Astro groups and their likes.

Probably Twitter as well. 

3 hours ago, Gfamily said:

I believe you can pay for Facebook to promote your post to a selected audience, and it's only a few £/$ to get a potential audience of a few hundred interested users.

They'll be selected by their membership of Astro groups and their likes.

Probably Twitter as well. 

Thanks...maybe a paid post for Twitter is a good option.  Though, this is for a course so I am not wanting to invest a ton.  Survey Monkey allows for a paid option, too, which ends up costing about $1 a submission.  Might be worth it, but I was hoping to go the 'elbow grease' route first. 

4 hours ago, carastro said:

I am happy to be messaged too.

Carole 

Thanks Carole.  I am going to avoid DMing people, as I think that might anger the forum gods.  But I appreciate your willingness, so thank you!

Message me a link to your survey please. I’ll share it on the Twitter and Facebook accounts - if you want to do so via Twitter, thats fine, I’m @Chris_Greenf. 

Chris

16 hours ago, Cjg said:

Message me a link to your survey please. I’ll share it on the Twitter and Facebook accounts - if you want to do so via Twitter, thats fine, I’m @Chris_Greenf

Chris

Thanks Chris!  Also, your profile photo has me curious if you painted that pic.  My compliments, if so.

Thanks, my profile was created by a (then) local Artist called Jenny Leonard, was my way of saying thanks and at the same time, hopefully helping her!

I’ve asked a few Astro folks to take a look at your survey via the Norwich AS twitter and will share on our Facebook group too. Good luck getting the responses you need.

Chris

In case anyone was curious, it would appear that the bulk of the people consuming astronomy-related information do so from their mobile phones.  I was expecting more laptop/desktop responses.

haxoo-screener-tech-device.png

59 minutes ago, haxoo said:

In case anyone was curious, it would appear that the bulk of the people consuming astronomy-related information do so from their mobile phones.  I was expecting more laptop/desktop responses.

haxoo-screener-tech-device.png

If "consuming astro related information" in effect means reading articles (news or reference) then perhaps accessing such via mobile phones is not such a surprise after all.  There may also be a demographic weighting to the responses as well; I think it is generally accepted now that mobile phone use accounts for the majority access to news/media content by the younger generation.  I suspect the same question would  generate a difference response from members here;  given the focus of the membership (astro visual or astrophotography).  I suspect our consumption of astro information goes beyond reading news articles alone compared to the general population.  One of the most difficult parts of running a survey is drafting the questions to avoid an in built bias.  Good luck with your research, sounds quite interesting. Survey Monkey would be the way to go I think. 

Jim 

1 hour ago, saac said:

If "consuming astro related information" in effect means reading articles (news or reference) then perhaps accessing such via mobile phones is not such a surprise after all.  There may also be a demographic weighting to the responses as well; I think it is generally accepted now that mobile phone use accounts for the majority access to news/media content by the younger generation.  I suspect the same question would  generate a difference response from members here;  given the focus of the membership (astro visual or astrophotography).  I suspect our consumption of astro information goes beyond reading news articles alone compared to the general population.  One of the most difficult parts of running a survey is drafting the questions to avoid an in built bias.  Good luck with your research, sounds quite interesting. Survey Monkey would be the way to go I think. 

Jim 

Thanks Jim!  I agree...part of the challenge is to get a wide view of how astro information is consumed, yet doing that without asking a ton of biased questions.

I pulled this specific stat out because it was the least dispersed among the answers of the seven questions. Every other question had answers fairly evenly spread out, but this one area was very specific.

The whole project has been interesting so far.  Hoping it leads to me building something cool. 

2 hours ago, carastro said:

It looks like you are managing to get the results then from Twitter etc.

Carole 

Slowly, but surely...which I suppose should be my mantra in life at this point.  haha.

Archived