SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wilko collimation webcam - £8

Uranium235

I was idly browsing the internet a couple of hours ago when I stumbled across this:

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-high-resolution-webcam/p/0460186

That particular camera looked almost as if it was a good fit for a 1.25" EP holder, so after work I popped out and grabbed one for the glorious price of just 8 qui!d!

So once I got home I opened the packaging and the front lip of the focusing ring *just* about fits into a 1.25" ep holder (with no wiggle), but not far enough for the thumb screws to lock it into position..... sooo looking around in the bits box I found a self-centreing EP adaptor, which when fully unwound allows you to fit it in by a few mm. All I had to do then was apply a little downward pressure whilst tightening up the adaptor and bingo.... it stayed put.

It works straight off wiith sharpcap (under W10) and looks like it will do a decent job of centreing a secondary mirror, maybe good enough for total collimation. I wont know until I try it later this evening.... but for 8 quid its worth a punt! I might use Al's reticle though, because the one in sharpcap cant be configured (I want the drawtube to stay in its imaging position while collimating).

8 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

My ASI224MC nicely fit into 2", however even so, it was not dead central....
I am skeptic with this experiment, but very curious about your results! :)

Yeah, there are the manufacturing tolerances - it could be way off, but if works it will be one of the all-time top bargains!

I will double check it with a cheshire to see if it got close.

Archived