Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

markclaire50

Your biggest regret or mistake?

I tried to think of parameters for this one, but decided it would be fun to give maximum freedom for the first thing that comes to mind. Obviously keeping within the realms of astronomy. ?

So, it can range from equipment purchases you regret, all the way to looking for something in the wrong part of the sky all night! Accidents with equipment to nightmare viewing sessions where everything went wrong. Funny, not funny. The world is your oyster!

Thanks 

Mark 

• Like 1

I regret not having the patience to wait a month for True Technology to import a Takahashi FS102 for me.  I regret selling my Takahashi FS128 so as to afford a Takahashi FS152.  I regret selling my FS152 and buying  TVNP101.  I dont regret selling the TV NP101 in favour of a SW120ED, and I don't regret selling my SW120ED so as to buy a Takahashi FC100DC. Full circle!

1349207942_2019-02-0116_55_39.png.f5b5e33c5ddf108bbf49b887bf9343f7.pngDSC_0483a.jpg.f2ade1303846ca5f4a6a5851bd462466.thumb.jpg.6180330f4d69421c3947f3e5be3828e9.jpg1700603309_2019-02-0819_32_35.png.fc2ca935b96800b869046663f65c620e.png967596513_2018-01-0523_31_53.thumb.jpg.dcbbe01dab8e0a5099fdd7536b1b7936.jpg20190220_171512.thumb.jpg.759880d94758c592e9cad5b9d46036f9.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I regret not having the patience to wait a month for True Technology to import a Takahashi FS102 for me.  I regret selling my Takahashi FS128 so as to afford a Takahashi FS152.  I regret selling my FS152 and buying  TVNP101.  I dont regret selling the TV NP101 in favour of a SW120ED, and I don't regret selling my SW120ED so as to buy a Takahashi FC100DC. Full circle!

1349207942_2019-02-0116_55_39.png.f5b5e33c5ddf108bbf49b887bf9343f7.pngDSC_0483a.jpg.f2ade1303846ca5f4a6a5851bd462466.thumb.jpg.6180330f4d69421c3947f3e5be3828e9.jpg1700603309_2019-02-0819_32_35.png.fc2ca935b96800b869046663f65c620e.png967596513_2018-01-0523_31_53.thumb.jpg.dcbbe01dab8e0a5099fdd7536b1b7936.jpg20190220_171512.thumb.jpg.759880d94758c592e9cad5b9d46036f9.jpg

I do like a guy that can make up his mind!!!!!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I think that's set the bar pretty high ?

Edited by steveex2003
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have no big regrets since I started observing a few years back but I do regret that I never realised when I was younger that it was possible to observe yourself  with a scope as I never met anyone to inspire me to do it. I thought astronomy was only for professionals. Now it's a case of making up for lost time. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I should have joined my local astro society a long time ago. I've now been a member for 3 years and really enjoyed the opportunities that membership has provided to take part in outreach, listen to some great speakers and to meet and chat to people actually interested in astronomy on a regular basis rather than just now and then.

I wish that I had the quality equipment that I have now 20 years or so ago when I had more energy to get out and use it as much as it deserves. I would have had to take loans out to achieve that though and I don't think that would have been sensible for a hobby :undecided:

I would like to be more decisive when it comes to disposing of equipment. I really have too many scopes and eyepieces given the opportunities that I get to observe and I suspect that concentrating on getting the very best from a smaller range of kit would make me a better astronomer. The trouble is that I have become attached to the scopes that I now have and most of the eyepieces and I reckon I'd miss them quite quickly if I move some of them on to new homes:dontknow:

I've probably wasted quite a bit of money and time over the years by buying something of middling quality only then to realise that what I really wanted was the better quality option, then selling the original choice at a loss before investing in what I should have done in the first place ! :rolleyes2:

I've also bought a few things for a second time forgetting why I didn't get on with them originally, or thinking that I might take to them second time around, only to realise that they were really not for me after all and my initial feelings were correct !

Other than that, it's been a ball and very much enhanced by finding this forum just over 10 years ago :grin:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

I should have joined my local astro society a long time ago. I've now been a member for 3 years and really enjoyed the opportunities that membership has provided to take part in outreach, listen to some great speakers and to meet and chat to people actually interested in astronomy on a regular basis rather than just now and then.

I wish that I had the quality equipment that I have now 20 years or so ago when I had more energy to get out and use it as much as it deserves. I would have had to take loans out to achieve that though and I don't think that would have been sensible for a hobby :undecided:

I would like to be more decisive when it comes to disposing of equipment. I really have too many scopes and eyepieces given the opportunities that I get to observe and I suspect that concentrating on getting the very best from a smaller range of kit would make me a better astronomer. The trouble is that I have become attached to the scopes that I now have and most of the eyepieces and I reckon I'd miss them quite quickly if I move some of them on to new homes:dontknow:

I've probably wasted quite a bit of money and time over the years by buying something of middling quality only then to realise that what I really wanted was the better quality option, the selling the original choice at a loss before investing in what I should have done in the first place ! :rolleyes2:

I've also bought a few things for a second time forgetting why I didn't get on with them originally, or thinking that I might take to them second time around, only to realise that they were really not for me after all and my initial feelings were correct !

Other than that, it's been a ball and very much enhanced by finding this forum jus tover 10 years ago :grin:

Thanks John. A very interesting and thought provoking post. ?

• Thanks 1

I regret selling my Tak FC-76DC to fund a Tak Sky90. Never did get on with it and sold it for quite a big loss.

I also regret locking my car keys in the boot of my car, with all my kit whilst away camping in Dorset. That night was one of the clearest and most transparent I can remember and I could only sit and 'weep' whilst staring up at the wonderful skies, Milky Way streaming overhead. To add insult to injury I had wasted over £100 joining the RAC who could not get into my car, but could manage to set off the alarm repeatedly which made me very popular with the neighbours who had just got their young children off to sleep. 

Not a good night.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

39 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Mike 

Well, I've finally got curious enough to ask. 

If you were blindfolded (don't worry) and led to two scopes, let's call the A and B, both 100 mm, but one a doublet e.g. SW 100mm ed, and the other the Tak FC-100DC, and your eye was placed into position over eyepiece before removing blindfold, with scope prefocussed, how would you know immediately if it was the Tak or not? 

Thanks 

Mark 

Putting a 150 Newt on an Explore Scientific Twilight I mount.

• Like 2

Just now, Ags said:

I'm guessing there was a moment of drama? ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I regret selling my Tak FC-76DC to fund a Tak Sky90. Never did get on with it and sold it for quite a big loss.

I also regret locking my car keys in the boot of my car, with all my kit whilst away camping in Dorset. That night was one of the clearest and most transparent I can remember and I could only sit and 'weep' whilst staring up at the wonderful skies, Milky Way streaming overhead. To add insult to injury I had wasted over £100 joining the RAC who could not get into my car, but could manage to set off the alarm repeatedly which made me very popular with the neighbours who had just got their young children off to sleep. 

Not a good night.

Stu, I could have given you any of the emoji symbols for this. But laughing felt so wrong! 

Reminds me of the time I had half the people on a beach searching for my car keys only to find them left in the ignition. One woman had her dog sniffing inside my shorts pocket where my keys would have been, to pick up the scent! Coming back from the car waving my keys around was one of the more embarrassing moments in my life! My wife's face........ 

Not astronomy related I know, but came to mind! 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

No drama, @steveex2003 - It didn't vibrate, it swayed gracefully. Twilight I is fine for short scopes, not a medium sized Newt.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

I think selling a 40mm Teleview Widefield is my biggest regret. I sold it too cheaply and miss it. That said, I don't really have regrets about anything. Life's too short.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I think selling a 40mm Teleview Widefield is my biggest regret. I sold it too cheaply and miss it. That said, I don't really have regrets about anything. Life's too short.

Very true. 

I am on the verge of a regret, i have been thinking of putting my 7mm and 9mm Antares HD ortho`s up for sale, dont want to sell them but just dont use them any more, in fact i rarely use any eyepiece just camera

• Sad 2

Biggest regret ?   Selling my Astrosystems (Luton) 8.5” alt-az Newtonian.  Whatever possessed me to flog that I’ll never know........but   “it seemed like a good idea at the time”.     Astrosystems  = superb old school quality.

Ed.

• Like 1

Mistake: Knowing absolutely nothing, I began with a Newt on an Eq mount from Curry's, and hated it.  It was a mistake, but I don't regret it, as it got me seriously into astro.

Regret: Selling my 127 GoTo Mak - a great little 'scope, and so portable.  And it went at a silly price.

Accident: I had a very expensive 'scope slip out of the shoe on the mount, and bounce off a nearby table (thank goodness it was there!), after which - with lightning reaction - I caught it before it hit the concrete.

Overall: I am glad I got into this rewarding, demanding, often frustrating journey of pleasure, learning - and no small expense!

Doug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I regret clicking on a thread in which three posters quoted in full a post containing 4 (was it?) images. It took an age on an iPad to scroll to the bottom of the page. There has to be a better way for forums to work surely? I can't remember what I was going to post now. Sorry, rant over.  ?

Oh yes, I regret not buying a half decent mount for imaging first off. I spent several years learning that the mount is king. Secondly I wish I had built an observatory for a permenant set up and now think it's too late. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Mistake: Knowing absolutely nothing, I began with a Newt on an Eq mount from Curry's, and hated it.  It was a mistake, but I don't regret it, as it got me seriously into astro.

Regret: Selling my 127 GoTo Mak - a great little 'scope, and so portable.  And it went at a silly price.

Accident: I had a very expensive 'scope slip out of the shoe on the mount, and bounce off a nearby table (thank goodness it was there!), after which - with lightning reaction - I caught it before it hit the concrete.

Overall: I am glad I got into this rewarding, demanding, often frustrating journey of pleasure, learning - and no small expense!

Doug.

Mmm. I recently bought a 127mak for a silly price. ??

Impressed with reaction to catch scope. ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ags said:

1 hour ago, steveex2003 said:

I'm guessing there was a moment of drama? ?

Only to be re-named the Twiglet l mount... ?

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Impressed with reaction to catch scope. ?

Out of interest, why did you hate the Newt on the eq mount? 

Mistake 1:  Buying a SkyPOD for imaging.  Great Observatory, but I was new at imaging when I got it and didn't know about the Zenith problem.  But since I have it I must make the most of it.  So.....................................

Mistake 2:  In order to help with the Zenith problem, I offset the pier, but in shifting the POD around to make the pier offset, I slightly decircularised it (didn't realise this would happen and so it is about 1/2" in diameter smaller in one direction than the other, i.e. fractionally oval instead of round.   This makes rotating the dome difficult sometimes and it will only close and lock in one position due to this.

Mistake 3.  Decided to get a Pod Zenith table constructed to help with the Zenith problem (I can slide the dome onto the table).  BUT, I should have gone to the trouble of re-circularising the POD BEFOREHAND!!!   Now if I take the dome off the walls, it pops back into shape and makes it a real nightmare to re-clamp the dome back on in the early hours.

Easy to be wise in hind sight. 

Carole 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

I WANT IT BACK!!!

Doug.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, markclaire50 said:

Out of interest, why did you hate the Newt on the eq mount? 

Counter-intuitive/awkward positioning in usage.  I know many, many members use them (the mounts that is), but it just wasn't for me.  ?

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 1