Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mesu 200 Below Horizon Limits

Mcrogers1

Hello,

I get a below horizon limits message in the Sitech window no matter where my scope is pointed. This prevents the scope from being able to initialize and start tracking and I have disabled using the horizon file under mount parameters. Tried blind tracking and no change.  I can't figure out why I'm getting this error. I used Steve Richard's guide for setup. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike   

go to C:\ProgramData\SiTech\SiTechExe and eliminate all pxp files and files for a new clean new model and park position.

point the scope in the general direction of the position of a known star (even in daylight) and then perform an "offset init"

Stop the scope and then move it with the hand controller to where you want it to be parked and then save this position.

The scope should recognise that it is above the horizon and the new park position.

Edited by Singlin

Man, tried doing a PointXP run and each cal star it would slew to I would get a alt/dec encoder error and tracking would stop. Hit start again to get tracking but after each slew the error would trip again. Encoders are set to polite. Going to try a few things Lucas told me to do and Dan at Sitech.

Edited by Mcrogers1

On 06/03/2019 at 12:04, Mcrogers1 said:

Man, tried doing a PointXP run and each cal star it would slew to I would get a alt/dec encoder error and tracking would stop. Hit start again to get tracking but after each slew the error would trip again. Encoders are set to polite. Going to try a few things Lucas told me to do and Dan at Sitech.

Nebula

The Mesu is pretty accurate without a Sky model and a lot of users just do a plate solve, an offset init then get on with there imaging.

Once you have run the PointXP script a few time and you know what to expect it pretty easy.

You do need to generate a horizon file for you site. This only needs to be generated for use by Sitech.exe. You can generate a file for use by your Planitarum software so you can "see" where the scope is in relation to the local horizon. Only the Sitech horizon file is required to run PointXP.

Hope this helps

graham

• 1 year later...
On 05/03/2019 at 12:09, Mcrogers1 said:

Hello,

I get a below horizon limits message in the Sitech window no matter where my scope is pointed. This prevents the scope from being able to initialize and start tracking and I have disabled using the horizon file under mount parameters. Tried blind tracking and no change.  I can't figure out why I'm getting this error. I used Steve Richard's guide for setup. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike   

Hi Mike,

Did you get this resolved, if so would you mind sharing what fixed it? I just fired up my new Mesu and having the exact same problem. I’m in the Southern Hemisphere for what it’s worth.

Thanks 

shaun

Edited by ZS1RA

44 minutes ago, ZS1RA said:

Hi Mike,

Did you get this resolved, if so would you mind sharing what fixed it? I just fired up my new Mesu and having the exact same problem. I’m in the Southern Hemisphere for what it’s worth.

Thanks 

shaun

I had to change my settings to ignore, rather than polite, or it kept doing the above.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I had to change my settings to ignore, rather than polite, or it kept doing the above.

That didn’t work for me but I now have a new message, Not Initialised. So I have something to work with now. Thanks Shaun

Edited by ZS1RA
  • Like 1

Not sure on the correct approach, but my method to initialise was to connect to CDC, select a star, right click and sync, that resolved my initial pointing problems. I've also set the encoders to ignore for now until I get some more time during the day to trouble shoot the settings.

6 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I've also set the encoders to ignore for now

I could be talking rubbish here but the mk ii doesn’t have the same encoders as the mk i so the settings are different. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I could be talking rubbish here but the mk ii doesn’t have the same encoders as the mk i so the settings are different. 

Correct. I found out from Mesu that SiTech.exe must be set to ignore or strange things happen.

• 3 weeks later...

For those struggling, theres is an easy way to offset init / sync. It does not matter where in the world you are, or what time of day it is, or even if you have the mount connected (faking servos mode, i.e simulation)

1. Make sure your latitude and longitude settings are correct in Sitech.exe

image.png.4f44eba424dd4512aa7575bd29a6063d.png

2. Manually move your mount so it is pointing due E or W, by turning DEC only.

3. In Sitech.exe, open skyview.

image.png.668ac30db1082cd5b0f30b9096fab66c.png

4. Click on a star on skyview nearest due E or W (depending which way you pointed your scope.

image.png.8c067506e1522b7c3929971306696933.png

This message will pop up - click Sync - the offset init screen will pop up next, and will auto close / auto sync within 15 seconds if nothing is touched. Press on the 'offset simple init automatic in x.xx' to stop the automatic countdown and syncing before you've had time to check things.

image.png.a97f645412d7de9ac2a6f7fcd99c73f2.png

image.png.d7791e14f113c7718fe8cc7d2f3086d9.png

image.png.39469c8c914f5d457464cfa867d84bdf.png

5. Check GEM scope is looking East or West and choose the correct setting (mine are greyed out as it's set to EQ, not GEM as I have a non flip pier).

6. Click 'OK'. This will sync your scope's current pointing position to this star, which may not be totally accurate, but it's a very good starting point.

7. Using the handcontroller or slew arrows in Sitech.exe, slew to your chosen park position.

image.png.262cd5069c1d3ffb089150e7181d36ca.png

9. Click 'setprk'. This will set the park position to wherever you are now pointing.

image.png.20be826af5f7b9f09f29d966de867013.png

10. Click Park (you can move the mount around first if you like, but if you don't then Park after a SetPrk before you power down, it won't remember the setting.

11. After syncing, setting a park postion, parking then powering down, everything should be fine when you power up and UnPrk - this should start the mount tracking and horizon limits and meridian settings will now be correct. And you don't need stars to do this!

On next power up, slew to your target, platesolve, sync the mount to the platesolve and it will be more accurate. The park position may change slightly mechanically due to the more accurate sync, but this is easy to reset.

With the encoders, there are 2 types - motor encoders that the Mesu mk2 does have and mount encoders, which are an option. You must turn the encoder settings to ignore if you don't have mount encoders. I'm fairly sure this page is nothing to do with the motor encoders.

image.png.73d7556dddaee29ac52493c03779409d.png

Hope this helps - you can play with all this in simulation, i.e. don't connect the mount.

image.png

Edited by Jonk
Typos
  • Like 2