Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

grzybu

3D printed eyecups for BA8 binoculars

Hi,

Yesterday I've received very nice pair of second hand TS Marine 15x70 binoculars.

I don't like eyecups of any binocular I have so I had to make new ones as provided ones are not really comfortable and I can't see whole FOV using them without pushing hard against eyecups.

Anyway I've tried to use them and test the binos in daylight. One thing that I've found annoying was the level of CA visible when eyes are not centered with the eyepieces. Slight change can make CA almost invisible or really distracting. I could be quite disappointed comparing it to Celestron Skymaster Pro pair I have if I didn't remember that using original eyecups on Skymaster was causing similar problems with CA. 

After closed inspection I've found that it's really easy to unscrew original eyecups. So I've measured the eyepices, designed and printed new eyecups.

They are much more comfortable, even though material isn't very soft, but edges are round.

What's most important, they really help centering eyes with the eyepieces and CA is now much lower than before. Initially I was quite disappointed by the level of CA, but now I think it's quite good. New eyecups block side light really nice too. 

I was worrying about individual focusing as material used for printing is quite grippy but fortunately ring that is on top of the eyepieces can be incorporated into the new eyepieces body so they can rotated without any effort. Just set the focus and adjust eyecups angle. 

This is how they look now:

ba8_eyepiece.jpg.2dea8ed40f4be30c36d325d785a54087.jpg

I've also recorded short clip to show how they rotate: https://youtu.be/Uwa5TxY0O54

Now I have to print little bit bigger eyepiece cover to fit new eyecups. 

• Like 6

Great!

thtoppoints.gif.47be2f48cc0314cc4db55dea4554caa7.gif

Superb ! and very clever.

Sorry I don't have Ruud's excellent Imojis. :thumbsup:

I have a similar problem to what you had - the eyecups are rubbish.  In fact mine split very quickly.

I made a very quick 3D print but am not totally happy with the design. Have you an STL or CAD file for your version that I could crib from you?  Yours looks far superior to by lash-up?

David

I have to print and test the new dust cup that fits new, bigger eyecups and I'll publish the stl files next week.