SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Crater Maginus - Ray Beam to be seen on December 5th......

qcdougn

Thanks for the heads-up, Doug. :hello2: The time on this event is listed at 19:03UT which unfortunately is early afternoon for me. However, according to the info provided for London in my Sky Tools program, the Moon will be at 31°34' altitude at 19:03UT, with moonset occurring at approximately 23:38. I'm not sure how much of the event you'll be able to see in that time frame, but you should at least be able to begin watching the sunlight start to pour onto the darkened floor of the crater.

Here's a zip file (484 Kb) for an Excell spreadsheet which contains an extensive (2004 - 2012) database on crater ray events... it comes in handy when you want to check the time of an event.

Ah.. you're right WH. There probably will be some of the event left for us to nibble on, but I've become absolutely addicted to watching the first sliver of light flow across the crater floor.. now it seems nothing less will do. But I'll take a look if it's clear :hello2: that night... it'll be interesting to see how much of the event has progressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived