Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems removing stock focuser brass screws on Sky Watcher Evostar 100ED

Hi guys,

I have a Baader Diamond Steeltrack focuser to replace my stock one. However the three screws holding the stock focuser in place don't want to play ball. If I try any harder I am easily going to strip the heads.

Does anybody have any tips or experienced similar problems? I cannot afford to be spraying WD40 for drilling screws out. 

Thanks all.

Ryan

I Google'd this problem - as you have probably already done so - and it seems to depend on the grade of locktite used to hold the screws. When I dismantled mine I seem to recall seeing a blue residue but it was some time ago so I may be mistaken. The advice seems to be to apply heat but I would be very nervous. People talk about positioning a soldering iron tip right on the screw for a few seconds to soften blue locktite.

It seems like you are between a rock and a hard place and I don't envy you. Sorry I can't be or more help.

I’ve upgraded the focusers on all my ED80 refractors....

the three screws holding the focuser to the tube were just chromeplated M4 Philip screws. They came out easily and were replaced with SS M4 screws.

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your input, it's greatly appreciated. 

I am going down the extraction route. I heated one screw before using an elastic band to help grip. The 1st screw came half way out, however the head fell snapped. The next two screws though aren't budging. 

I understand its far from a quality scope but surely Synta would insert a slightly better grade screw (in my opinion).

Thanks again

Ryan

1 hour ago, Ryan_86 said:

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your input, it's greatly appreciated. 

I am going down the extraction route. I heated one screw before using an elastic band to help grip. The 1st screw came half way out, however the head fell snapped. The next two screws though aren't budging. 

I understand its far from a quality scope but surely Synta would insert a slightly better grade screw (in my opinion).

Thanks again

Ryan

If there is enough of the screw sticking out to get a pair of vice grips on it I would use that. I don't think you will be able to use a screw extractor on such a small screw. 

A quick update, I had to carefully drill them them out enough to allow me to slide the stock focuser out. Now it's time to order some quality M4 screws.

Would anybody happen to know the length? 

Thanks

Ryan 

The soldering iron method of heating the screw is a good tip.  (But it needs to be a big one, or a soldering gun preferably).

Heat almost always breaks a rusted bond, but any form of flame is obviously pretty much out of the question with an OTA.

One slight advantage of the original non-stainless screws is that at least mild steel can be drilled very carefully with a new sharp drill, whereas a small hole in the centre of a small stainless steel bolt would be just about impossible, with the drill skipping off or snapping in the much harder stainless steel.  (Although admittedly, if they'd used good quality stainless in the first place, they wouldn't have rusted in. ?)

I struggled with the rusted screws in my 120 evostar when I replaced them with SS, but the solder gun did the trick. 

Archived