SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount upgrade

The tripod that came with my Skymax Goto is pobably a weak point in the system. Is there any other tripods that would accept the goto and OTA but would give a more robust stance and not be prone to wobble when touched.

Which skymax goto to you have?

If its the one where the tripod is part of the goto head then I think you are pretty much stuck with it. Try adding a bit.of weight to th EP tray. I have the AZGT 127 mak and when extended the tripod is not upto it. 

I don't think there is any cheap or easy answer.  If you have access to a workshop, John Inderby's adapter above looks good.

I bought a spare 'bowl tripod head' and some timber and metal parts and made a tripod with plain wood legs for permanent siting in my garden It saves a lot of time and wobbles less than the SLT tripod.  Before that, I acquired a used EQ-5 to mount my 127mm Mak on for planetary observations.

Or you can buy a heavier duty alt-az or EQ GoTo mount at a cost of several hundred pounds.  The EQ5 mounts are like scaffolding when compared with the portable SLT mount.

1 hour ago, dc240969 said:

I like the bowl head idea. Where can these be sought?

Astroboot.co.uk usually have Skywatcher bits.  Currently they have two of those tripods, and a "Supatrak Tripod Hub" which should be the same as yours..

The "SkyMax" go-to tripod-hub has traditional yokes jutting out for the attachment of legs...

sky-watcher-skymax-127-synscan-az_360_ab

I'd suggest thinking outside the box, although not too far gone, and get a wooden surveyors' tripod, and adapt it...

img-5470_orig.jpg

...or other wooden tripod.    Wood is best for dampening vibrations, and it looks good to boot.  You can make a spreader of chain for it.  I made a spreader of oak for my wooden tripod...

tripod.jpg.3dbbae1ece3725d472b09a5f6e0b47cb.jpg

In future, the legs can be moved over to the hubs of other kits, including other Sky-Watcher types.

Yes the surveyors' wood tripods look nice, but interior designers like them too ? so they can go for quite high prices. There remains the problem of making an adaptor to mount an astro mount head on them.

If you shop around you should find a new EQ5 tripod (without mount head) for a little over £100.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Yes the surveyors' wood tripods look nice, but interior designers like them too ? so they can go for quite high prices. There remains the problem of making an adaptor to mount an astro mount head on them.

If you shop around you should find a new EQ5 tripod (without mount head) for a little over £100.

No, the wooden legs are taken off of the surveyor-hub, and then the legs placed on the hub of the kit.

As for myself, I wouldn't give a single, badly-tarnished penny for a tripod sporting tubular-steel legs, quite frankly.

Archived