Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The tadpoles in full narrowband and RGB

emyliano2000

Not the best but being my first ever full narrowband photo I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

72x300sec Ha, 71x300sec Oiii, 73x300sec Sii and 23x120sec for each RGB.

Qhy183m, 130pds, baader 1.25" filters.

DSS and Photoshop.

I hope you like it.

Emil

LRM_EXPORT_408669997598848_20190305_082907952.thumb.jpeg.43481eb99739e1b8cbb17351ba9e2f64.jpeg

Edited by emyliano2000
  • Like 22

A very nice image Emil and over 20 hours for your 1st NB image - impressive..!! I don't think I could wait that long to see how it turned out - actually I don't think I've ever shot that long for any image, but then other than Ha for enhanced red in RGB I don't shoot NB.

Geof

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys. I found it a bit hard to get it right, if that is right, as I'm using Annie's astro tools in photoshop to create the hubble palette and I have no control over how much of the Ha, Oiii and Sii goes into the final photo. I would love to have control over it because what I've done now is process them a bit more or less and then combining the results until I got this.

Emil

I'm pretty sure it can be better than that.  To me it looks very noisy. Maybe I should put the tif files here and you guys can play with them. They are all aligned and cropped so only need processing and blending.

2 hours ago, emyliano2000 said:

Thank you guys. I found it a bit hard to get it right, if that is right, as I'm using Annie's astro tools in photoshop to create the hubble palette and I have no control over how much of the Ha, Oiii and Sii goes into the final photo. I would love to have control over it because what I've done now is process them a bit more or less and then combining the results until I got this.

Emil

Really nice image Emil - I have a bit of a soft spot for the tadpoles...

Yes it's definitely worth building up the separate filters in photoshop so that you can go back and tweak each channel.  There are great online guides to show you how to do this step-by-step but in précis you load up a frame from whichever filter, add a hue / saturation adjustment layer above, select colorise (colours are 0 for red, 120 for green and 240 for blue), saturation to 100%, brightness (or whatever it is - doing this from memory!) to -50.  Then add a curves adjustment layer above and finally a levels adjustment layer above that.  Select the three adjustment layers (which should all be above the image), right click and select create clipping mask and finally set the blending mode for the frame to "screen".

To get the Hubble palette colours you can follow Bob Franke's guide.

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, emyliano2000 said:

Sorry to resurrect this old post but y esterday I went back to my first full narrowband image to see how much my processing has improved and this is the result that I came with.

What do you think?

Emil

WebExport_2048px_Image25-denoise-pix.png.thumb.png.1a84c0437328567cd9a665b072427d1e.png

That’s a nice result 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, emyliano2000 said:

Sorry to resurrect this old post but y esterday I went back to my first full narrowband image to see how much my processing has improved and this is the result that I came with.

What do you think?

Emil

WebExport_2048px_Image25-denoise-pix.png.thumb.png.1a84c0437328567cd9a665b072427d1e.png

Very nice Emil! A big improvement over the original, and I really like the colours.

ps - Annie's action is a nice time-saver, but you can take full control of it if you want. When you run the action and the Levels window pops up, choose not to do it. This stops the action. You're then free to manually balance the Levels and then move on to doing as much of the Selective Colour adjustments as you wish.

pps - You can go further and actually edit any PS action you want really. If you look at the list of Actions on the panel, you can click on the arrow beside them, and drill down to see the order of steps and exactly what each step does. You can choose not to run one particular step if you like, or edit it to do something different.

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed Emil,

I'm liking the second image more, it  appears sharper and more contrast,

and for me give a more moody feel to the whole image.

Welcome to narrow band imaging, and a spectacular 1st shot with it.

well done 

Paul.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Very nice Emil! A big improvement over the original, and I really like the colours.

ps - Annie's action is a nice time-saver, but you can take full control of it if you want. When you run the action and the Levels window pops up, choose not to do it. This stops the action. You're then free to manually balance the Levels and then move on to doing as much of the Selective Colour adjustments as you wish.

pps - You can go further and actually edit any PS action you want really. If you look at the list of Actions on the panel, you can click on the arrow beside them, and drill down to see the order of steps and exactly what each step does. You can choose not to run one particular step if you like, or edit it to do something different.

This time I started the photos in pixinsight and applied the noise reduction while still in linear state. After the initial stretch I reduced the star size in the Oiii and Siii shots (being my first narrowband image, I didn't know how to use the camera and I used high gain and long exposure giving me very fat stars on those 2 channels) and only after that I combined them into SHO. 

Photoshop is still my main editor and I do use Annie's action tools (always as a layer to be able to control a bit the overall result) but what you said make sense and I will give it a go in the near future, thank you. 

Emil

27 minutes ago, MartinB said:

That is such an improvement!  That is a seriously good image.  

Thank you so much. I'm really glad I posted this because it shows that even though I was starting to think the data wasn't really good, after 2 years of learning new things and tricks I managed to bring it to a pleasant results. 

Emil