Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
First time I have used my ZWO ASI 178MC camera on Jupiter. If only it was higher up in the sky!
Imaged from Pembroke Dock, Wales, UK, on 21/06/19 at 22:51 Hrs
Equipment: Vixen VC200L VISAC Telescope, on NEQ6 mount. Imaged through ZWO ASI 178MC camera.
Camera resolution set at : 1920x1200. 20% of 1408 frames processed through Autostakkert, Registax and GIMP.
My first relative success at this target.
Some dust mites show because the mount had good tracking and I used no darks nor flats. With my camera the cure should be quite simply to power cycle off/on so that auto-cleaning moves the dust elsewhere.
Capture: Olympus E-PL6 on Skywatcher 130PDS at 565mm/4.35 with SWCC and didymium filter on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
Exposure: 12 × 60s × 2500iso
Site: 50km from Paris (France), sky Bortle ~ 4
Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
Inspired by Forum Member Xiga, after seeing his fine image of M101 on 22 March 2019, I just couldn't wait to get an image of the Pinwheel Galaxy.
My image was taken on 27/03/2019 with my Orion ED80 Refractor and Canon 450D, on my NEQ6Pro mount.
( As usual, at present, my images don't have enough hours put into them yet, because I am still figuring out how to plate-solve with APT !
Once I get plate-solving under my belt, I will start to get more data, hours wise, into my images ).
My image below is approx 1 hours worth of light subs, composed of a mixture of mainly 70 sec lights, including some 60 sec lights and 40 sec lights, all at 1600ASA.
I also incorporated 20 darks , 35 bias frames and 35 flat frames.
Processed through APP and then GIMP.
Reading a few articles about the HorseHead Nebula and wondered if I could bag it visually.
It's a clear night on January 1st and a back garden session chasing my quarry with my 200P Dob. It's bloomin' cold (-4°C) outside and I'm wrapped up like a Michelin Man.
The seeing is fair to good. Those who have read any of my other reports will know I'm very fortunate to enjoy Bortle 3/4 skies to the South and my "test objects" M1, M33 are easy catches with a 27mm BST Starguider. M33 was also visible through 8x40 field binoculars before dinner, suggesting a good evening was at hand.
So onto the HorseHead. Moving Alnitak out of the field of view the Flame Nebula with the dark central band was plainly visible. Moving down and across I could see nebulosity surrounding the most eastern of the three close mag 7 stars. Spent a lot of time observing with options of 12 and 27mm EP's plus and O-III filter that I had to hand. The filter made observing worse for this target, so that was put back in the case. The 12mm EP showed increased contrast of the faint nebulosity around the star and occasionally teased out a line of contrast extending beyond the three start mag 7 stars. It appeared to be IC434.
I swapped back to the 27mm and checked the Flame, which was brighter now. IC434 had a defined edge, dark on the East and lighter on the West but "fuzzing" in and out even with averted vision. It was pretty much on the limit of visibility.
In all I spent two long cold hours outside and I think I may have caught the HorseHead three times as a darker finger appeared through the line of IC434. Nudging the scope made sure it wasn't wishful thinking - there was something there. However, being pedantic, I couldn't say for sure it was the HorseHead as definition wasn't really there and IC434 was disappearing into the background then some minutes later reappeared. However, there is no other object in the vicinity that would present a darker finger ingressing into IC434, so I think it's quite likely that it was the HH.
I've read that a H-Beta filter makes observing the HorseHead easier, so that will be on the shopping list soon enough.
Although I couldn't be 100%, I'm fairly sure I did catch a glimpse of it and am pretty happy.
Returned inside to warm up, de-frost the scope and enjoy a drop of The Macallan, as is fitting for the New Year.
Wishing everyone clear skies for 2019!
After being sick for what feels like an eternity, followed by two weeks of clouds and wind, i simply could not just let this night go as it was said to be yet another week or two with clouds on the way.
With my main scope not quite ready for use yet, i quickly hooked up the QHY5L-II-M to a canon 50mm lens, attached a 7nm Ha filter, and started looking for a decent target. I didn't need to look long before i saw Orion, and then it was set!
As the moon is currently 78% lit i must admit i was a bit worried, but i think the end result turned out OK, especially considering the relatively little data of just about 1 hour.
Exposure is 13x 300s (and 35x 30s for the core of M42) with the QHY5L-II at gain 12.
The lens is a Canon 50mm F/1.4@F/2.8
Darks applied to 300s exposures, but no flats or offset. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS and cropped to 16*9 size.