Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop, Power supply & Extention lead all in one box.

Danjc

I’m currently trying to speed up my set up and rip down time and as I needed a container to house my laptop in I wondered if I could incorporate various other items in the container and came up with this. 

The extension lead just runs to my RCD protected outdoor socket and usb and power leads run in from the other side. I may fit an adjustable vent to the top if I feel temperatures are to warm inside. 

CE1C1B94-3A36-43C3-B036-3FF0496077FC.thumb.jpeg.6b167bab796e49476beee996571f1aaf.jpegC5087ECB-8A59-45F5-AE07-19A3D0EF961F.thumb.jpeg.289df465b01e9dd2a0f0f62f5cf92853.jpeg11A1FE49-F2A5-4B7C-A0D8-DE8936825167.thumb.jpeg.cd70144c7f51f120f0fa311f67b57309.jpeg11764DD4-BDD4-4715-A67C-6EE7CB065F57.thumb.jpeg.a0d94e8ce4c862f8eaf8088fbdc9b18f.jpegD712627C-2394-49FF-8066-3A94BC6B0689.thumb.jpeg.0f4b277a35d4219a4abcb7fdb7b21e7a.jpeg

• Like 4

Neat solution. :smile:

3 hours ago, paul mc c said:

Looks good.....one thing remember to make sure youe extension cable is fully wound out as if not it can over heat.

Good advice if the the extension is being used near its maximum capacity of 13A, but at the load used here (less than 1A) the reel won't heat up if it's left wound in. :wink2: You'll probably need ventilation due to the heat produced by the linear power supply and laptop though, if the lid is left fitted in use.

Alan

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Neat solution. :smile:

Good advice if the the extension is being used near its maximum capacity of 13A, but at the load used here (less than 1A) the reel won't heat up if it's left wound in. :wink2: You'll probably need ventilation due to the heat produced by the linear power supply and laptop though, if the lid is left fitted in use.

Alan

Cheers the only other thing that will be plugged in will be the laptop charger which is 3.34A would it be preferable to unwind with the charger also plugged in ?

1 hour ago, Danjc said:

Cheers the only other thing that will be plugged in will be the laptop charger which is 3.34A would it be preferable to unwind with the charger also plugged in ?

No, the laptop charger and the Nevada PSU are the only items running off the mains. Laptop PSU (19V @ 3.34A) is  63W. At 90% efficiency this will draw 0.3A from the mains. The Nevada supplying 13.8V 8A delivers 110W. At 60% efficiency this will draw 0.76A from the mains. Total mains current 1.06A. This is the maximum current, and in in normal use you will never use this amount. 0.5A mains current is a realistic average value so you're perfectly OK with the reel wound in. Personally I would only be concerned about unwinding the reel fully if your drawing 5A or more mains current. That's assuming your reel is rated at 13A which it looks like it is from the cable size in your pics. :smile:

Alan

Edited by symmetal

15 minutes ago, symmetal said:

No, the laptop charger and the Nevada PSU are the only items running off the mains. Laptop PSU (19V @ 3.34A) is  63W. At 90% efficiency this will draw 0.3A from the mains. The Nevada supplying 13.8V 8A delivers 110W. At 60% efficiency this will draw 0.76A from the mains. Total mains current 1.06A. This is the maximum current, and in in normal use you will never use this amount. 0.5A mains current is a realistic average value so you're perfectly OK with the reel wound in. Personally I would only be concerned about unwinding the reel fully if your drawing 5A or more mains current. That's assuming your reel is rated at 13A which it looks like it is from the cable size in your pics. :smile:

Alan

Thanks for explaining that Alan, appreciated mate ??

• 3 years later...

Hi. This boxing solution looks great to me.... but.... what is the box and where did you get it from please?

As a total newbie I am still at the stage of wiping everything down at 10 minute intervals🥴 Your system and cable management seems the way to go as the gentle heat from the linear psu will help to keep the dew away I recon, and I already have one of those left over from an ongoing amateur radio project!! I checked out Ikea and other places but I tend to get a bit confused when vendors start quoting depth and height etc. 

Any help is appreciated.👍