Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher EVOSTAR-72ED APO OTA

hi guys

can I ask a question please. I've seen the Sky -Watcher Evostar -72ED APO and its just about at the max price I'd like to spend for now. I aim to use this setup, anyone else use similar.

Nikon D750

Gitzo GT4533LS carbon fibre tripod

Star Adventurer Pro mounted directly to the disk of the tripod, no centre column.

Sky -Watcher Evostar -72ED APO

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks

That seems ambitious to me, the star adventurer is great but it works best with shorter focal lengths unless you are guiding and get excellent PA.

The D750 is a serious camera; what lenses do you already own? Something like 200mm works well unguided and <100mm is positively great...

19 minutes ago, jimjam11 said:

That seems ambitious to me, the star adventurer is great but it works best with shorter focal lengths unless you are guiding and get excellent PA.

The D750 is a serious camera; what lenses do you already own? Something like 200mm works well unguided and <100mm is positively great...

Hi

The lenses I have are the Sigma macro 105mm F 2.8 and the Samyang 14mm F 2.8. I could also get hold of a Nikon D5300 APS-C if it would be better than the D750. 

In that case you could try both with the 105mm and see how you get on. That will give you 2 different image scales and should be pretty easy to get familiar with. 

For reference the SA has a typical PE of 25-50" (I measured mine in the region of 45"). It can be guided down to <1" on a good night, and if your pòlar alignment is good enough. You could then start imaging with longer focal lengths like the ed72...

Archived