Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

TheMan

DSS taking so looong.

I was planning to stack my images over a few nights, I have around 1100 images at 45 seconds each. The time to stack says over 30 hours of stacking! The only settings I have changed is I changed the temp file location and I put median kappa sigma clipping on, but i'm pretty sure that doesn't effect stacking time. Is there a way to speed this up? is there other software I can use? Am I stuck with this assuredly long stacking time? Any help is appreciated.  

Could you stack in batches then a final stack to combine them

Does DSS support multiple tiff's being stacked?

52 minutes ago, TheMan said:

other software

Hi. There's Siril which -we find- faster. Otherwise invest in a ssd drive and put temp there. Or find someone with a gaming machine who wouldn't mind you copying the files and installing dss. Or Siril...

Perhaps consider doing fewer 90s exposures if that fits your workplan?

Cheers and good luck.

Posted (edited)

Any reason for using tiff files and not raw files?

Edited by happy-kat

13 hours ago, TheMan said:

I was planning to stack my images over a few nights, I have around 1100 images at 45 seconds each. The time to stack says over 30 hours of stacking! The only settings I have changed is I changed the temp file location and I put median kappa sigma clipping on, but i'm pretty sure that doesn't effect stacking time. Is there a way to speed this up? is there other software I can use? Am I stuck with this assuredly long stacking time? Any help is appreciated.  

I never stacked that much but i think It shouldn't take that long. Are you using 2x or 3x drizzle?

Are you using the new 64bit version? if not this should help speed things up a little.
Do you have an SSD that you can make use of? I have a separate SSD that I use as a working drive for current projects. Move data onto the SSD to do the inital stack etc... and then move to a normal drive afterwards.

Having the temp location on a seperate drive to where your data is stored should also speed things up a tiny bit.

Make sure the amount of cores that DSS is using is set correctly as well. 

Im not sure how big the data set is but if you are able to build a file list and put the data online somewhere then I would be more than willing to provide some cpu cycles to aid in the process (I have a Ryzen 2700X which should munch through that pretty quickly).

5 hours ago, Atreta said:

Are you using 2x or 3x drizzle? 

No drizzle.

4 hours ago, dyfiastro said:

Are you using the new 64bit version? Do you have an SSD that you can make use of?

I am using the 64 bit version. I have an ssd but there is not enough storage. and I have to resort to using a HDD.

4 hours ago, dyfiastro said:

put the data online somewhere

Not possible, there is roughly 40 gb of data to upload.

Does Siril allow more than one data set? eg. darks and lights from different nights.

I agree with @happy-kat - is there a particular reason for stacking the TIFF files. They’re huge, many times larger than the raw camera files and I can think of no particular advantage to working with them in the initial stages.

The ususl workflow is to stack, align, combine, stretch etc the raw files and then do final editing on a single ‘master’ TIFF. 

Doing all the initial processing will tax all but the very highest end computers and unless there is a very specific need - a complete waste of time and hard drive space. 

How low is your star detection? The lower it is set, the higher the star count will be and the longer it'll take to stack. If its set too low it may also be counting noise and hot pixels as stars too. 

Try raising the star detection percentage so it detects less stars. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Try raising the star detection percentage

I'm still not sure about how high to go, will 30% do the trick or is that too high?

2 hours ago, TheMan said:

I'm still not sure about how high to go, will 30% do the trick or is that too high?

Move the slider up and click calculate stars. If it's getting too many (200+) move the slider higher until it detects around 80ish.

• Thanks 1

After registering pick your reference frame before stacking.

• Like 1