Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
barkis

Zodiacal Light.

An extract from Sky at Night  Magazine.

"Tuesday 5 March With the Moon out of the way this is a great time to look for the faint conical glow of the zodiacal light.
Extending up from the western horizon, the ethereal effect is caused by the reflection of sunlight from particles of ice and dust floating in the plane of the Solar System.
Typically, If visible, it appears in a 90-minute window starting 90 minutes after sunset. Today the Sun sets at 17.55 UT. "

I have never seen this phenomena, be good to see if anyone on SGL  could grab an image of it.
It will require  suitably clear skies I reckon.

Ron.

7 minutes ago, barkis said:

I have never seen this phenomena, be good to see if anyone on SGL  could grab an image of it.
It will require  suitably clear skies I reckon.

Last Tuesday by me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Last Tuesday by me.

Excellent, how long was the exposure?

3 minutes ago, barkis said:

Excellent, how long was the exposure?

4s at f2, iso 1600 for the pic with Mercury, 6s for the one with the meteor in (later in the evening).

• Thanks 1

I think I may have seen it in my all sky camera images but whether it's the Zodiacal Light or just sunlight reflected from the atmosphere I don't know.

Unfortunately, although I have fairly dark skies, my western-ish horizon points at Bridport, with its LP, even though it's 4 miles or so away.

Managed to capture it on Tuesday night at a remote location. It can be seen with the unaided eye - in my area that averages around 21.5 MPSAS without local light pollution, the Zodiacal light is discernible but the cone becomes more visible with averted vision.

1624426141_zodiacallight28_02.thumb.jpg.3a7b9e0a213f93a9d195e35e22a84548.jpg

• Like 5