Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying to image the orion nebula,need help.

GKA

Hi,tried to i mage the orion nebula yesterday evening,i took 112 pictures with 10 seconds  exposure time.

I use my Canon EOS 1000D (The settings should be correct) and prime focus with a 1"25 adapter , which was the only adapter i had an cls filter  for .

Looking at the photos on the camera,i can see some vaque stars,but when downloaded to my computer , not so much.

I can't download autostacker or dss because my computer  won't allow it, i think i have to reset it to factory settings.

I LIVE in a very light polluted area so the pictures was taken 50/50 with and without the cls filter.

Should i use my 2" prime focus whithout filter, and do i need a flatener also.

My scope is a sky-watcher st 120 

No, my computer acts lile crazy,trying to open a lot of new pages without managing it.it's an old computer with a broken hinge and keyboard, that i fixed and a new keyboard is on it's way. So hopefully it will be ok once i get it reset.

I just have to find a way to transfer the the pictures  before i do it.

Unfortunatly i deleted the  pictures on my camera,when they were downloaded to  my computer.

I did try to download autostakkert  to an other computer, and it works, but this computer doesen't have any storage. 

Hi,

First of all, good job on getting the data--lots of frames is good. I have the same camera as you, so I may be able to help with some of the problems you're experiencing. You say you took 10 second exposures, do you remember what ISO setting they were at? I find my 1000D can take quite dark images, (although with image processing ISO doesn't matter so much--I normally leave it at about 800). :) Also, do the stars in your photos look like sharp points, or are they more like circles? If the image is out of focus (even a small bit), the photos you'll get will be underexposed. 

Regarding the 1.25 or 2 " adapter, I would personally wait until you've got PCs sorted out so you can view the images a bit easier. I'd recommend taking a couple of shots one evening, some with the 1.25" adapter and CLS, and the others with the 2". The 1000d has quite a large sensor, so you may find the 1.25" one clips the edges of the image too much. 

Good luck with your PC, I hope you can get it sorted. ? I'd recommend copying the photos onto a memory card / usb drive as soon as possible, in case anything goes wrong with factory resets. ?

John

Hi , and thanks for your reply, my iso setting was 800 and the stars seems Sharp,but i'm not sure , i have no tracking yet, just manual adjusting with the finderscope between each picture,so it might go both ways. 

No synscan goto yet,to many bills to pay for now, but i will by eventually.?

I wouldn't adjust between each image manually maybe every 30 images instead. DSS will align your images for you. You can then crop the edges.

Maybe adjusting the mount every  image is introducing vibration 

Good luck.

17 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

First of all, good job on getting the data--lots of frames is good. I have the same camera as you, so I may be able to help with some of the problems you're experiencing. You say you took 10 second exposures, do you remember what ISO setting they were at? I find my 1000D can take quite dark images, (although with image processing ISO doesn't matter so much--I normally leave it at about 800). :) Also, do the stars in your photos look like sharp points, or are they more like circles? If the image is out of focus (even a small bit), the photos you'll get will be underexposed. 

Regarding the 1.25 or 2 " adapter, I would personally wait until you've got PCs sorted out so you can view the images a bit easier. I'd recommend taking a couple of shots one evening, some with the 1.25" adapter and CLS, and the others with the 2". The 1000d has quite a large sensor, so you may find the 1.25" one clips the edges of the image too much. 

Good luck with your PC, I hope you can get it sorted. ? I'd recommend copying the photos onto a memory card / usb drive as soon as possible, in case anything goes wrong with factory resets. ?

John

Well got my pc sorted out, and i have downloaded both autostakkert  and registax6 but i'am a bit confused of which settings to use on Dso's i autostakkert, any advice, anyone? ?

Archived