SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finders on a 127 mak

• 7 months later...
On 03/03/2019 at 20:29, chiltonstar said:

I use a 9x50 RACI with an RDF mounted on it, ie find the area with the RDF and then use the slomo to center the target with the RACI.

To avoid the problem of the two eyepieces being too close together, I have my 127 Mak mounted in rings so that the scope EP can be rotated to the right and the RACI EP to the left slightly.

Chris

127mak.jpg

scope3.jpg

Hi sorry to resurrect an old post but I just wanted to ask how you mounted the RDF onto the finder?
I am a newbie - I just wanted to know what the stand/base is that the RDF is sitting on? I'm assuming the RDF is  a SW one , is the base thing also SW?
And can you confirm that you have used cable ties to attach the base thingy to the finderscope?

Thank you

Edited by Frangipane
added info

2 hours ago, Frangipane said:

Hi sorry to resurrect an old post but I just wanted to ask how you mounted the RDF onto the finder?
I am a newbie - I just wanted to know what the stand/base is that the RDF is sitting on? I'm assuming the RDF is  a SW one , is the base thing also SW?
And can you confirm that you have used cable ties to attach the base thingy to the finderscope?

Thank you

I used cable ties (or black insulating tape which works as well) to keep the profile down a bit. I've got a twin finder bracket as John above mentions but it places the finders too far out from the scope and is a bit oversized for the relatively small scope. You can see what I mean in this image which is on my much bigger 180 Mak - it's too awkward for that even and I've dispensed with it in favour of an rdf (Rigel) on the finder as well.

Re the base: it was an old SW RDF - I partly dismantled it to leave the flat plastic bit on it which would fit against the curve of the RACI barrel. On my other Mak and using a Rigel which is far better, I've filed a spare base down a bit to make a smooth curve which fits against the barrel.

Chris

mak2small.jpg

Edited by chiltonstar

2 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

i never use the 8x50 finders scopes i normally just sell them. when i use a 55mm 2" ep in the scope its almost the same power as a finder

joejaguar

....but not in a 127 Mak though, which is the OP's question.

Chris

Thanks for the replies people.

I am pretty clueless and struggle with the SW RDF, so I thought a 9x50 finderscope would help me a bit more.
The Skymax 127 will be mounted on a GOTO GTI stand so I only really need this to find alignment stars (told you I was clueless!)

I thought if I got a 9x50 SW RACI and kept the RDF as well it would be belt & braces :)

I will see if I can make sense of all this.

Regarding Telrads/Rigels am I correct in thinking they are of no use to me on a GOTO for this purpose, as I understand they are used for star-hopping using charts?

Dont forget that whatever finder you use it needs to be aligned with your scope. I use a 6x30 RACI on my mak and wouldn't be without it. I just look along the finder to point to the right region then look through the finder and the target is there.

Steve

I had a problem with the RDF which came with my Celestron NexStar 8se. 

It was annoying using it as it would not adjust anymore.

I ditched it for a Telrad finder, and have been really pleased with it so far.

But for a 127 mak it may well be a bit bulky.

I have 2 Skymax 127 systems; one in the UK, and one in France. Both came with the 6x30 straight-through finder, but I replaced the UK one with the RACI equivalent, as shown in John's photo. The RACI one is much easier to use for high-altitude alignment stars. Last night, I was using my French system, and Vega (at about 70 degrees altitude) as the first alignment star, and I had to get on hands and knees to use the straight-through finder. French concrete is uncomfortable on the knees 😣. Saturn is a better target when viewed from Bristol's twin city, Bordeaux, particularly after a glass, or two, of the local wine.

The "redundant" straight-through finder is now on my Astromaster 130 OTA, as the Astromaster's original RDF is useless.

Geoff

no u can use a telrad or rigel just to align stars then turn it off

iam pretty sure theres even a telrad with mirror u look down into and not through, i have never owned one and also the telrad will be kinda long on your scope tho.

they also have risers for these

joejaguar

IMG_0872.thumb.JPG.da9ea2be14f6151e5f68369d78f114af.JPGI have a 50mm Svbony finder scope fitted to my new Mak 127, I have a skywatcher 6 inch reafctor that getting a bit to heavy for me to move about so went for the goto mak 127 and find it works very well and the 50mm finder scope let me pick eyepieces for the finder scope and not limited to the one on that comes with say a 9x50. also let me use a camera with the finder scope so all round works well for me...

Edited by bill-reed
mistake

• 7 months later...

Hi all I have the same issue with some of you when it comes to looking through my 50mm finder scope fitted to my Mak 127 i.e. because its a straight through finder i am virtually on my knees !!!! so the question is can you get a 90 degree eye piece for it, I know you can buy them with them fitted but I cant seem to find just the 90 degree eye piece for sale on its own?

Cheers

Jim.

IMG_20200531_134954950_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jimmy Rocket

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Rocket said:

Hi all I have the same issue with some of you when it comes to looking through my 50mm finder scope fitted to my Mak 127 i.e. because its a straight through finder i am virtually on my knees !!!! so the question is can you get a 90 degree eye piece for it, I know you can buy them with them fitted but I cant seem to find just the 90 degree eye piece for sale on its own?

Cheers

Jim.

You will need a new right angled finderscope. The straight through finder is longer than the straight through type so it is not possible to replace the eyepiece as you suggest.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/astro-essentials-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

You will need a new right angled finderscope. The straight through finder is longer than the straight through type so it is not possible to replace the eyepiece as you suggest.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/astro-essentials-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

Cheers Peter, I was afraid that would be the case.........anyone want to buy my finder scope lol

Cheers,

Jim.

On 03/03/2019 at 20:15, Steve Clay said:

Thanks good advice. I'm using the AZGTI mount. The tripod needs to be kept low to avoid wobble, hence having to do gymnastics to see through the red fot. Almost ferl like a basic gun sight is needed to point in the right direction then fine tune with a raci. 

If you're using the AZGTI and a Mak, then another option is a multi reticule finder. They stand off the telescope much higher than a standard red dot and due to their sturdy construction, rarely if at all require re-alignment once adjusted. You can knock them about quite a bit.

I use one now with a Skymax 102 and AZ-GTI and it's great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAO-Multi-Reticle-Red-Green-Reflex-Pistol-Rifle-Sight-Inc-Mount-Battery/163829153290?hash=item2624fa7e0a:g:mOQAAOSwkkFdXn6v

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-Finderscope-Dovetail-Slot-Mount-Base-Plate-for-Celestron-WN/333212833985?epid=7026800596&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4d950858c1:g:Y-wAAOSwVldcCN8u

You may finder the kit elsewhere cheaper. Those links are for demonstration only. Mine was bought used for £15. (See below)

IMG_20200531_144827661.thumb.jpg.58b4395abdd9af2639505544e1cba72d.jpg

• Like 1

I used one of these laser pinter brackets and a regular Skywatcher 6x30 RACI finder.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EBTOOLS-Adjustable-Astronomical-Telescope-Aluminum-default/dp/B07MN54WCW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=laser+pointer+bracket&qid=1590933978&sr=8-1

On this bracket you can remove the center section and bolt the rings directly to the base if you want a low profile bracket. Just have to enlarge one of the holes in the base. However it is fine as is if youu don’t wish to bother with some minor DIY. I replaced the stock screws with short nylon ones as the stock ones stuck out too far with the 6x30 finder fitted.

C4ADE542-6714-4D6F-BF05-8B02F8F45E73.jpeg

• Thanks 1