Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Starwave ASCENT 102ED F7 Refractor?

1 hour ago, John said:

I think these chinese crayford focusers are very sensitive things. When they leave the factory they are well adjusted and work nicely. If you dare to adjust them yourself though, or if they get a bash, they are never quite the same again. Don't know why it is but thats what I've found :dontknow:

This one is R&P John. Or "geared" as its advertised. Out of the box it was stiff and notchy and the wheel has a very slight wobble. It seems to have "bedded in" a little but it has bugged me for 2 days. I haven't dared touch it but I have asked AA if it can be adjusted. Not responded yet but it is the weekend. I think this one has also had a knock, hence my decision to return it.

I've come across this blog on the Altair website. Its a few years old so no mention of the Ascent series but I would assume that Altair still stand by the content otherwise they'd take it down - wouldn't they? I found the first part interesting with respect to the mention of using various contractors but in terms of optics it appears that they do their own quality control and a test can be provided if requested - unless I'm getting that wrong. Perhaps a message to Altair might clear that one up. With respect to glass type I'm guessing that the F7 Ascent uses something like an equivalent to FPL-51, why else would the price be so much less than the Starwave ED-R,  and that might work well in the F11 but perhaps not as well in the F7 but again I'm just speculating.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A bit of an update on the scope, had first light last night and did some imaging in h-alpha of the cresent nebula, as soon as ive processed I will post here.  The scope is pretty good, the focuser held up very well, concidering it had the flattener, filter wheel, atik 314, off axis guider and lodestar x2! so far not bad...…….

• Like 1

Hi again so heres a pic taken the other night of the Cresent nebula NGC 6888, in h-alpha, through the Ascent 102ED, Varying exposures (16 in total from 2-8 mins) as I was hampered with fine layered cloud, which also affected the image. Its uncropped, to show the results with the field flattener I also got with it, and used. Camera was an Atik 314 mono, 7nm h-alpha filter. Guiding was off axis. Considering the focus was a bit of a rush, and being the first time off using the scope, theres room for improvement im sure.

Cresent layered.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a little trip over to Aylsham and stood looking in the window at Altair Astro at a large display of ED refractors.  🤤

Firstly, anyone who has a 150mm refractor - I applaud you, those things are HUGE.  Secondly, I saw a little sticker in the 102 f7 saying it had been reviewed in skyatnight mag back in May.  Some of you may have missed it.....here it is...

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/telescopes/altair-starwave-ascent-102ed-f7-refractor-telescope-review/

• 2 years later...

I received my Ascent 102ED yesterday. Last night was clear for the early evening and I gave it its first light on the EQ5 mount & tripod I'd also bought from Harrisons. My other scope is a rather old (but quite good optically) LX10 8" SCT.  I have to say I was pleased with my new purchases. I looked at the Pleiades first and there was only a hint of the nebulosity which is easily visible in the 8". But with the lower F ratio the views were brighter and with better contrast  give a nicer appearance to the star fields I looked at. I also had a quick look at Jupitor, and while it was rather low in the sky I have to say that the detail in the belts (and the number of belts visible) was better than with the SCT, at 70 and 140x. There was some CA visible, but it by no means interferes with the enjoyment of this scope. Fit and finish, focusser, dew shield etc. are all very good. I'm looking forward to many nights with this great little scope and all for a bargain price.   

• Like 1