Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Most beautiful double/multistar system, through a scope?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, John said:

Favourite rock track ??? - "Highway Star" by Deep Purple. How apt ! :icon_biggrin:

Favourite live album? “Made in Japan”, also apt when it comes to talking about good scopes with which to observe doubles! 

Its very difficult to choose the most beautiful as there are so many. Viewing the top right hand quadrant of the cross of Cygnus at low power, you'll come across a triple star system quite widely spread, so possibly only a line of sight effect, affectionately called "the patriotic triple", due to its red, white and blue components. However, some of my favourite doubles, are really quite unsung gems. If you slip a low power eyepiece into a scope and slowly sweep the Cassiopeia region, you'll come across a blood red double that will stop you in your tracks. I love it when that happens! Mystery tour binary observing can cause you to lose all track of time. I've no idea of its designation but one day I'll check it out, but until then, I'll keep on aimlessly enjoying sweeping for pretty little unsung binaries just for fun. 

I do think that these binary systems look their very best with a fine refractor. Other scopes will split them of course but there is something really magical about seeing two or more perfectly defined airy disks, perhaps with a very fine diffraction ring or two surrounding them, maybe with varying tints, almost, but not quite touching with that all important sliver of blackness between them :icon_biggrin:

The are also one astro target where the visual view almost always surpasses an image IMHO.

dubtypes2.gif.7db78271b9cfb4ea5959c433b3e1e1fc.gif

16 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Mmm. I have SSpro6 on my phone. I'm just going to look into this! 

If you go to Observe, Observing lists, then Import from Online Repository you should see the option for Coloured Doubles. Once imported you can select to highlight objects and each will be circled on the map.

61 Cygni, a nice pair of orange dwarf stars. The pair have got a lot of history, being the first star to which we measured the distance (11 light years) and of all the visible stars they have fastest apparent motion. 

8 hours ago, Stu said:

If you go to Observe, Observing lists, then Import from Online Repository you should see the option for Coloured Doubles. Once imported you can select to highlight objects and each will be circled on the map.

Thanks Stu. Very helpful. ?

Archived