Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flat panel for Celestron 8"?

Having recently upgraded my mount I am looking to try some imaging with my Celestron 8" again. Now I know this OTA is not ideally suited to imaging but with the F6.3 reducer and knowing that a certain degree of cropping the edges will be required I am willing to give it another go.
I have seen some very impressive results from this OTA and the fact its Galaxy season its giving me an opportunity to continue my imaging. 

My question is what flat panels do you guys use on the larger OTA's? For my small refractor I use a 3" the Aurora Flat panels which whilst are not always regarded as being the most solidly built accessory it has served me very well.

https://www.gerdneumann.net/english/astrofotografie-parts-astrophotography/aurora-flatfield-panels/uebersicht-aurora-flatfield-panels-overview.html

However paying 155 euros which lets be honest will be £160+ with shipping etc then that feels a little more than I would like to spend.
Any ideas? Please note that I have zero DIY skills so really looking for a ready made solution...?

Thanks!

For my 8inch SCT I use an A3 lightbox off the bay, about  £30.

I tried dimming it from its lowest of 3 settings with a 12V Variable PWM,  but caused flicker.

So I applied several layers from a roll of the darkest ND I could find.

I made a picture frame for it,  the power connector pushes in through a hole drilled in the picture frame.

Hangs on the wall, custom park position points at it.

Michael 

26 minutes ago, Droogie 2001 said:

so would need it to portable. 

I keep mine indoors, perhaps you'd just  need to find a way to hold it safely onto the front of the ota pointing at the zenith? 

Or balance it on a garden chair with tbe ota pointkng down at 45 degrees ?

You wouldn't necessarily need the 'picture frame,  but it does help protect the edges and keep the sheets of ND in place.

Michael 

Archived