Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mak front corrector

Hi...how would affect in observing and imaging this front corrector damage? How much would i lost on quality? What if i put sam black tape on that part of glass-would i that have good picture but with smaller aperture?? (Mak 127)

IMG-20190228-WA0009.jpg

Oops, that doesn't look good.

I suspect the views would be worse than just using the scope as it is, the corrector performs a necessary optical function so the scope won't work well without it 

The corrector plate also supports the spherical secondary mirror (integrated with the corrector). You have two options: cover the damage with tape, or scrap the scope and buy a replacement Mak 127.  I suggest a star test to see how much the performance is affected.

Ouch! Not a good thing to happen.

I would be tempted to try masking the damaged part of the lens and accept the slightly reduced light gather.

As Stu pointed out, the corrector plate is what the name implies. It is not just a window with mirror in the middle - it is a lens.
You need this to properly focus an image.

That's a very unfortunate knock. I'd definitely mask that section off and star test it. I'm assuming with a ding that big the Mak has hit something hard and it seems possible that the optics may have  been knocked out of alignment.

Archived