Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi everyone

After an eventless 3 hours on the cone nebula last night and with the onset of barren skies with only fuzzy blobs they call galaxies to image, we had a last reminder about short exposures. Just 7x45s; gotta love fast Newtonian reflectors:) Last call for the milky way I suppose.

Thanks for looking.

357757697_44(copy).thumb.jpg.6439ff470997a8956d2ebe6d749b4abc.jpg

• Like 12

I prefer this one as the colour is there but not the colour halos, nice image sparkly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I like it anyway!

The 'Galaxy Season' is a challenge to be rellished though.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

Galaxy Season' is a challenge

Too right. You can do m44 in 5 minutes. Making a start on a galaxy takes 5 hours!

**am in the process of persuading a mate he needs a 12" f4. I'd look after it for him whilst he wasn't visiting of course;) Oh, and there's this: mount with telescope thrown in for free...

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, alacant said:

Too right. You can do m44 in 5 minutes. Making a start on a galaxy takes 5 hours!

**am in the process of persuading a mate he needs a 12" f4. I'd look after it for him whilst he wasn't visiting of course;) Oh, and there's this: mount with telescope thrown in for free...

I've got a 10" F4.7 Skywatcher 250PDS going cheap/free if you want it? Focal length is 1200mm- just about long enough to get some galaxy details.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

10" F4.7 Skywatcher 250PDS going cheap/free if you want it? Focal length is 1200mm- just about long enough to get some galaxy details.

Hi. Thanks so much for the offer but we've got an old blue tube 10" f4.7 into which we've put a 70mm secondary. Very similar I think. But yeah, I think 1200mm is the entry level for spiral arms being anything other than use-your-imagination smudges.

Have you tried the 12" f4 or f5 models? Any thoughts?

Cheers and thanks again.

23 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

I've got a 10" F4.7 Skywatcher 250PDS going cheap/free if you want it? Focal length is 1200mm- just about long enough to get some galaxy details.

1200mm is more than enough for galaxy detail if you have small pixels. Having imaged with twice that focal length I can find no advantage in doing so.

Olly

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alacant said:

Have you tried the 12" f4 or f5 models? Any thoughts?

Cheers and thanks again.

I have the 12" and 10" Revelation Astro/GSO F4 Newtonian scopes. The 12" F4 is a bit of beast to tame but can give interesting results especially with the 0.7x ASA Keller coma corrector/reducer. Imagine a 1000mm focal length F2.9 scope.....

I did some galaxy imaging with this set up- a single 140 second sub of M51

11755944213_f3c8923c6a_b.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

a single 140 second sub of M51

Amazing. I mean it's gonna take hours with a 10" f5 to get anywhere close, hence my interest in the big f4;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alacant said:

I think 1200mm is the entry level for spiral arms being anything other than use-your-imagination smudges

Hi folks

Just want to check, does this relate to visual observing too ?  

Cheers

Visually, You can get spiral arms with 10” 1200mm focal lengnth scope. But you need dark dark sky and they will be right on the edge of vision on only a handful of galaxies. I’d say forget about visual spiral arms. Think more faint fuzzy blobs with lumps of slightly brighter fuzz.

For spirals, you need to image, or buy a big +16” aperture scope and dark sky.

Paul

• Like 1