Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Hi folks, 

Having setup my kit last night to image Orion I found the Heq5 mount making a hard clicking or grinding noise depending slew speed only in Declination and only when pointing west.

Tried with handset as well as eqmod, the mounts power is supplied with a mains power pack.

I don't get as much time to image as I'd like and often image object in the east as they rise.

Tried slight adjustment of Dec but still happens.

Throwing it out for suggestions. 

Thanks

Campbell

If it's a coffee-grinder noise upon startup to high speed, it's like mine and many others, and apparently not fatal. I can't find any ill effects in my HEQ5Pro, anyway.

Hi,

No the grinding noise is repeatable by loosening the clutch and rotating to a certain point, re-engage the clutch and it the stepper is jammed and it makes the noise.

Took the side panel off last night, starting to thing that it might be the adjustment of the worm where it's possible too tight when I've removed backlash in the past.

Thanks

Campbell 

It’s most likely the clutch kicking in because something is too tight. I always adjust worm float and test it with weight attached. There are tight spots to guard against. Also, make sure your kit is well balanced.

The Dec is feeling slightly tighter that RA, will try adjusting tonight with and test with weights. 

Thanks 

Solved it, it looks as if the Dec worm was slightly too tight and any slight variance as it turned was binding.

Thanks for the input

Campbell 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gerardsheldon
      I tested the tracer polymer battery over a six hour period and although the red light on the HEQ5 flashed most of the time, and more rapidly as time went on, the mount moved so that the time on setting circles changed by six hours, suggesting the mount will track OK.  (the test was carried out during the day).  I did not try to get the telescope to point in a different direction using the handset.
      1) Should I be bothered by the flashing lights on the HEQ5 mount?
      2) Is tracer misleading people by saying their batteries are 12 volts?  (they say that their discharge curves are flat)
      I found that the battery's voltage falls.  Below is from the Tracer datasheet.
      ---------------------------------------------------------- 
      Built-in Fuel Gauge - 5 colour LED fuel gauge mounted externally to show charge level. LED Status:
      3 green & 2 red: Battery fully charged 11.7V
      2 green & 2 red: Over 50% capacity 11.4V
      1 green & 2 red: Over 20% capacity 11.1V
      2 red: Less than 20% capacity 10.7V 1 red:
      Less than 10% capacity 10.3V No lights: Battery empty 8.25V 
      ----------------------------------------------------
      Thanks
      Gerard

• By Oslet
      Sooo...I'm getting quote frustrated here. This spring I tested my HEQ5 with guiding. The synscan controller was connected to the computer trough the USB plug on the hand controller. This worked like a charm in my living room. On the new controllers you dont need the rs cable. But when I tried the whole thing with guide cameara for some live shooting, it just did not work. I get something wrong with the com port in decice manager, driver not working. I have tried 3 different drivers. The whole thing responded, connected and was guiding when i did a dummy test before the summer. So setup is pc-synscan via usb for pulse guiding. Can it be a problem with windows 10? What t h.... just happened? Where can I find a driver that works? And believe me it worked 5 months ago, argh. Thanks for any respons and support
    • By Rza
      As title. Not the best to look at cosmetically but in good working order.
      Mount has upgraded latitude bolts.
      Will throw in the following:
      Sky-Watcher power supply
      HiteCastro DC focus controller
      EQDIR cable to control mount from laptop
      Long UK plug mains power cable
      USB hub
      Lovely Lords Cricket bag
      £375 ONO
      Based in Kent near Maidstone.
      Collection only.
      Cheers

• By Lachlan
      Hi everyone, 
      as the title suggests, I've noticed that the RA axis of my HEQ5 pro mount has some give. I don't notice it while the clutch is unlocked, but it's very obvious with a locked RA clutch. Any suggestions on what could be causing it/what adjustments need to be made? 
      Thanks 
    • By sulaco
      Morning folks,
      I'm planning a bit of a change in my imaging setup and after much thought I need some input from others if you can.
      I want to upgrade my setup, currently a SW 130pds HEQ5 with a 60mm guide scope imaging with a modded 500D.
      I often find my imaging time limited but am planning the build of a mini obsy to make longer sessions more practical.
      Would mounting a SW72 ed on top of the 130pds be over kill to get an dual imaging system going and increase the data volume, both with a canon 500d and a simple finder guider, the mount should be ok with this.
      Or just keep the status quo and add an auto focuser for longer single scope sessions that can be more automated in keeping good focus with the lighter setup.
      The dual version I believe would end up having wider field images as I would probably have to add the higher resolution from the longer FL to the shorter FL images.
      Any 2p's worth would be appreciated I just want to achieve more productive sessions.
      Thanks
      Campbell

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.