SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

One Scope and One Scope only!

markclaire50

I think this thread can only apply to multi-scope members with lots of scope time under their belts. 

If a law was passed by Parliament (you never know these days!??) that all multi-scope owners had no choice but to get rid of all their scopes immediately, except for one Scope of their choice, which scope would you keep? And why? 

I'm hoping this will be a very interesting thread! ??

Thanks 

Mark

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's an easy one:

I'd keep the Sharpstar 72ED, 

My wife would never part from OUR SW 6" newt ?

My son's heart would break should he give OUR SW ED80 away. ?

So, as I also have one daughter, actually I'd have place for another scope. ?

But preference is given in listed order.

Ah, italians ... ? ? ? 

Fabio

5 minutes ago, FaDG said:

Well that's an easy one:

I'd keep the Sharpstar 72ED, 

My wife would never part from OUR SW 6" newt ?

My son's heart would break should he give OUR SW ED80 away. ?

So, as I also have one daughter, actually I'd have place for another scope. ?

But preference is given in listed order.

Ah, italians ... ? ? ? 

Fabio

Thanks. I should have specified that the law would be one Scope per house, but it's too late now. ?

I would immediately remove all original markings from my scopes.

Then engrave them all with something along the lines of 'Carbon Brush Universal Viewing Device'.

This scope would be registered with the licencing authority and only one scope would be on display (for inspection) at any time.

All the others would be hidden under the bed.

4" doublet ED apo! Rapid cool down, razor sharp views at high power and breathtaking rich field views all in one. Light weight high contrast, high definition instrument that will never let you down. Other scopes claim to be refractor- like, but they never quite attain the refractor view!

My APM TMB (LZOS) 105 f/6.2.  As much as it would pain me to loose the others, this scope is optically excellent, performs really well on DSO from a dark sky site, and critically for me, is airline portable.  The larger ones are not, and the smaller ones show less.

But promise me it never actually happens!! ?

I'd keep my 12 inch dobsonian, which is also my lowest cost scope, bar the 70mm Tele Vue Ranger.

I do really love using my refractors and would miss them a lot but looking back on my years of observing it's been the 12 inch dob that has consistently shown me things that I've not seen before, has pushed out the boundaries of my hobby more than any other scope that I have owned and on the right targets and nights has provided stunning views that the refractors just can't match.

1 minute ago, markclaire50 said:

EEA? ?

EAA - Electronically assisted astronomy

On the topic:

If I was allowed single scope then 8" RC - just because I would use it for both visual and imaging (and EAA, and "science" work).

For visual only single scope - 8" F/6 dob

38 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

My APM TMB (LZOS) 105 f/6.2.  As much as it would pain me to loose the others, this scope is optically excellent, performs really well on DSO from a dark sky site, and critically for me, is airline portable.  The larger ones are not, and the smaller ones show less.

But promise me it never actually happens!! ?

I’ve not had mine long but I’d agree. Very versatile scope - great for lunar/planetary but doesn’t disappoint with DSO’s. 

Optics are such that you can go from a nice wide low powered 2” EP of day 35-40mm right up to a high powered beast at 2.6mm. 

Does a cracking job of a reasonable all round imaging scope as well. 

1 hour ago, markclaire50 said:

Thanks. I should have specified that the law would be one Scope per house, but it's too late now. ?

Well, in that case I hope that YOUR Parliament approves the law, AFTER Brexit, Ok? ?

Fabio

P. S. Yes, I know the rules, no politics. But given the topic it can be accepted this time, can't it? And nobody take it seriously!! ?

1 minute ago, FaDG said:

Well, in that case I hope that YOUR Parliament approves the law, AFTER Brexit, Ok? ?

Fabio

P. S. Yes, I know the rules, no politics. But given the topic it can be accepted this time, can't it? And nobody take it seriously!! ?

Don't mention the B-word! ???

I'll take my Tak FC-100DC please. Airline portable, can go anywhere with me, lovely widefield views plus very enjoyable planetary, lunar and doubles performance. Plus stick a herschel wedge or quark in it and I've got my other loves of white light and Ha solar observing covered.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'll take my Tak FC-100DC please. Airline portable, can go anywhere with me, lovely widefield views plus very enjoyable planetary, lunar and doubles performance. Plus stick a herschel wedge or quark in it and I've got my other loves of white light and Ha solar observing covered.

A Quark? ?? That is small! ?

Archived