Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASI294 + Hyperstar, EAA post-processing

AKB

Another night (26-Feb-2019) of good conditions!!!  ...so I thought I'd dust off the C9.25 with Hyperstar and give it a go with the new camera.  No time for fettling by way of collimation, and on a few other targets I failed to focus in order to keep up with the temperature drop, with disastrous results, so we won't say any more about that.  What hugely surprised me, though, was that at the end of the session I tried taking flats with a light panel, and they seem to have worked!!  Never managed this previously with the Hyperstar.

I really must give Martin's Jocular tool a work out, but I stuck with Nebulosity, which is actually a bit limiting on its own for EAA (not least, no real-time stacking) but could make a great capture front-end for this.

Nonetheless, here are two post-processed results (using PI) which I do consider to be the outcome of EAA and which aren't too shabby, IMHO.

M42 (60 x 10 seconds, for a total of 10 minutes)

20190226_M42-Hyperstar-ASI294-60x10s.thumb.jpg.728603ade81b9248e329aff3d497b830.jpg

Horsehead + Flame (20 x 1 minute, for a total of 20 minutes)

20190226_Horsehead-Hyperstar-ASI294-20x1m.thumb.jpg.50d6c455c949b5fa6f2d3a2cbf10795c.jpg

The F2.3 system of the C9.25 Hyperstar certainly helps with short exposures, and I think the quality is not too bad for EAA.  I'm rather wondering how the upcoming Celestron 8" RASA will compare?  Hoping for flatter field, better star shapes, and easier deployment.  Its FOV, though, is perfectly matched to this 22mm CMOS chip.

Excellent results, beautifully framed! 

Nebulosity can make a decent capture engine. Its best feature is that Nebulosity scripts can be run from another program, opening the door to interesting things like single-click LRGB (if you have an electronic filter wheel). This is nearly perfect except there is no way via a script to do an immediate abort of an ongoing capture, so in practice it is a little tricky to integrate with other software.

Archived