Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short run on the Horsehead in Ha

Yawning Angel

A year or so back I traded my unmodified Sony a77ii dslr for a ZWO asi1600mm-pro, in part after some disappointing results on the Horsehead, but mainly due to the crease in the translucent mirror from its previous owner which really showed up in stretched images (see the diagonal line, bottom right?) Before it vanishes for another year, i thought I best try and justify the investment at least to myself and have another go at the Horsehead...

Skywatcher ED80 w 0.85 reducer / Celestron AVX / ZWO Ha filter. I just squeezed in 7 x 5min subs before guiding bombed and then a house intruded.  It's showing some ugly halos especially on Alnitak, but otherwise I think it's a marked improvement

Sony a77ii
26678263_10154861814371315_7973129629676826334_o.jpg.a0752945ee869249b178afb1dfee9755.jpg

ZWO asi1600mm
light_FILTER_Ha_BINNING_1_integration_ABE.png.aeeda9eb6f63a65952775ea8332add4e.png

I've recently bought an ED80 and ASI 1600mm Pro.

I'm still getting used to the change after using a dslr for years.

What gain level are you using?  The detail has come out really well in your image.  The halos don't actually look that bad - in a way it gives depth to the image.

Ha filter is going to be my next investment.  I'm trying to decide which filters to buy - cost is always the deciding factor!

I already own the beginners Baader LRGB filter set, which seems OK so far.  The LGB are pretty much parfocal but the R is a little off.

I've read both good and bad things about the ZWO filters.  I think the filters have been improved recently, although not entirely sure.

I've give this a go with the LRGB tonight.  If I get anything as good as yours I'll be happy.

I was using 'unity' gain, so 139 on the asi1600. Running at -20 degrees. The ZWO filters are ok, considering the price - I'm sure I'll be upgrading them at some point. I did just read an excellent tutorial on removing those halos in PixInsight with Pixelmath...but my brain refused to understand it without trying it ? (see here)

I'm hopeful that getting some L+RGB in the mix will allow some of that to be layered out too....but that might not happen this year now

Good luck with yours, Jamie, and thanks for looking!

Archived