Recommendations for a new Eyepiece for the Esprit 100

Jarvo

Evening everyone.

I am looking for advice or recommendations from everyone for a high magnification eyepiece for my Esprit 100ED .

I'd prefer Televue (Slave to the green and black) and either a Nagler, Delos or Ethos. The focal length being 550mm means there is not much scope (Ha! - I'm here all week folks) when it comes to the focal length of the eyepiece. 

Theoretical magnifications is approx 150x so we are looking at 3.5 mm max but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a 3.5mm or if a 4.5mm or 5mm works better  on the Esprit in the real world and not on paper.

And yes I know its billed as an astrograph but I am having a lot of fun with it visually. (Beehive was awesome in it last night!)

All views and recommendations warmly received.

Many thanks

Steve

I have the 3.5mm, 5mm and 9mm Myriads which are derived from the Ethos and they work splendidly in my F/5 300mmm dob. Their job would be easier in your f/5.5 Esprit. Except for a tiny amount of lateral color everything else is great, no need to detail it, every aspect is great. The 9mm is the whitest, sharpest, crispest and most immersive of all the eyepieces I've put in front of my eye.

Your question might be too specific so I added my experience with a scope of similar f/ratio.

If you can sacrifice FOV - there is "a cure" for your green and black problems :D - look into 3-6 TV Nagler zoom. It's single eyepiece, a bit costly even if you consider colors, but it does replace range of EPs.

I use a TV Nagler zoom 2mm-4mm. really excellent high power eyepiece. Often used with my Vixen ED102SS F/6.5 and my other refractors as well.

If you want a larger field of view I reckon the Pentax XW 3.5mm is hard to beat. I've also owned the Nagler T6 3.5mm and 2.5mm which are very nice as well. I'm sure the short focal length Delos and Delite eyepieces are excellent too.

Forget the green and black! Buy a 3.5, and 5mm Pentax XW. Naglers show lateral colour in the bucket loads. Of course once youve acquired the 3.5 and the 5, youll probably want the 7mm, 10mm, 14mm & 20mm XW's. Personally I'd go for the 10 over the 14 as it has a much better edge. These are very high contrast eyepieces and they barlow well too!

Archived