Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Hi all

did anybody see a white streak appear just left of orion last night.not sure what it was but think it was a comet.??

Wouldnt have been a comet.....prob a meteor.

Edited by paul mc c
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, andy fearn said:

Hi all

did anybody see a white streak appear just left of orion last night.not sure what it was but think it was a comet.??

I've been imaging Orion widefield for hours yesterday. At what time did you see it? Where? 

For sure not a comet, they are very long term events. Can you describe it? 

Edited by FaDG

Sorry, i meant meteor. Not sure exact time, i think between 8 and 9 pm. it was a quick streak of light, quite short. i am in the south east of England.

I caught that on a sub. Looked a very straight line but quite faint. Thought it was just a satellite but could be wrong. 

Will try and find the frame when I get chance. 

• Like 1

I have checked all my frames starting at 20.30 CET (your 7.30 PM) , and apart from a plane on half of them ?, I saw no such streak. 

I am currently in Toulouse (SW of France), which leads me to think that it was an object at relatively low latitude. 

But tonight between 20.23 and 20.26 CET, I have recorded a small meteor in Taurus, close to M45, at

3h 54m 18s, 15deg 38' 20". 

Good morning, thanks for all you'r help. have just checked stellarium and i think the area was HIP 26588 (star). sorry did'nt note time. thanks for you'r input.

10 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Thought it was just a satellite but could be wrong. 

From my point of view it could have been one out of two things: 

A meteor

An IRIDIUM flare: the first generation had three flat antennas , and under a given geometry these reflect the sun light in a way that creates a strip on Earth. If you're with in this strip, you see a light in the satellite position. It grows, remains steady and then darkens.

Typically a meteor is very fast, less than a Second, while a flare is much slower, it can last a few seconds, up to 10-15

Hi FaDG.

Thanks for input, don't think it was a flare. it is sounding more like a meteor from the discription's on here.

dannybgoode. i would be interested to see any image you may have of it. thanks in advance.

Yes. and it was a meteor, it appeared close to Leo and lasted around three seconds,

and as you reported it was a streak, a nice long streak, some only last a split second.