inet addr:192.168.1.79  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fd53:7f53:4e13:0:cdfc:5f58:1621:c0f4/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::dd:9173:1f3d:49ff/64 Scope:Link
          inet6 addr: fd53:7f53:4e13:0:7481:897b:ce6e:7987/64 Scope:Global
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:436898 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:240808 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:458947946 (458.9 MB)  TX bytes:42997996 (42.9 MB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:80354 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:80354 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 
          RX bytes:23769253 (23.7 MB)  TX bytes:23769253 (23.7 MB)

gina@Mint-Desktop ~ $ 

Looks like your wifi card isn't listed there,  i only saw ethernet and the loopback.

it's been a long time since I did some networking.  Can you try this command to list it? 

dmesg | grep -e wlan -e b43

I'm booting my linux right now to try to better help you 

Edit: it should list something like mine: 

wlp3s0 renamed from wlan0

From there we can try to connect to your router. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a play with Indi on the RPi about the same time you started with it. It worked fine on Raspbian lite. I know my network scripts work on Raspbian - I currently have these pis running on it:

Weather Station - 1-wire interface outside in base station.

Weather Station - Data logger/database/web server in house.

Camera server in D-Bot 3D printer.

Allsky camera - in development.

I don't know anything about how Ubuntu Mate manages its network interfaces I'm afraid. Often distros change the way it works to suit themselves.

There's a script the runs in Mate to install all the necessary packages for INDI - makes it so simple.  The disadvantage of Mate is that setup needs the GUI but once set up it all runs headless.

I had a quick look on the Indi forum and it seems Mate automatically includes the right packages which Raspbian no longer does. Raspbian should be fine after the correct ppa has been added. I'll have to dig out the build script I used previously.

Been searching my SD cards and computers and found I was trying to get WiFi working before and found I had to start afresh with a clean card and install Ubuntu Mate then set up WiFi with the GUI.  It said that once Mate had been set up there was no way to re-set-up the WiFi.  Since everything is stored on the SD card I don't believe that.  Anything on the SD card can be changed - everything is in files which can be accessed by the OS - on another system if necessary.  The solution has got to be in the files on the card.

1 minute ago, Gina said:

Been searching my SD cards and computers and found I was trying to get WiFi working before and found I had to start afresh with a clean card and install Ubuntu Mate then set up WiFi with the GUI.  It said that once Mate had been set up there was no way to re-set-up the WiFi.  Since everything is stored on the SD card I don't believe that.  Anything on the SD card can be changed - everything is in files which can be accessed by the OS - on another system if necessary.  The solution has got to be in the files on the card.

Did you try that command i mentioned? You can also type iwconfig and then press tab to show your wifi card name. 

I think there is no need to start a new,  we can work it out. 

Weird, it should list your wifi interface there.   Please also try iwconfig and press tab twice,  it should complete with your wifi interface too. 

Also Is your card listed when you do a lspci? 

gina@Mint-Desktop ~ $ iwconfig
enp2s0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

gina@Mint-Desktop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Root Complex
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri HDMI/DP Audio Controller
00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1424
00:02.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1425
00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1424
00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Root Port
00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1424
00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB XHCI Controller (rev 09)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 40)
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 16)
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 30h-3fh) Processor Function 5
01:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9120 SATA 6Gb/s Controller (rev 20)
01:00.1 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE912x IDE Controller (rev 20)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
gina@Mint-Desktop ~ $ 

There is no WiFi card - WiFi is provided by an Access Point which is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.  Router connects to computer via Ethernet cable.

27 minutes ago, Atreta said:

Weird, it should list your wifi interface there.   Please also try iwconfig and press tab twice,  it should complete with your wifi interface too. 

Also Is your card listed when you do a lspci? 

Gina, Are you running this command on the RPI or your desktop machine ?

Actually, starting from scratch is not that difficult - all the information is in my tutorial.  Alternatively, I should have the system backed up on my NAS drive though I suspect that will have the same problem as the card I'm using.

I've found a micro SD card in an envelope labelled "ASC clone.  Trying to get WiFi working."  I have that in the RPi now and have the GUI display working well enough to access the WiFi setup which is now set up and set to the correct PW, which was wrong.  It recognises the AP and shows full signal strength.  But I can't connect to it from Mint - the connection is not listed in the router Client list.

28 minutes ago, Gina said:

Actually, starting from scratch is not that difficult - all the information is in my tutorial.  Alternatively, I should have the system backed up on my NAS drive though I suspect that will have the same problem as the card I'm using.

I've found a micro SD card in an envelope labelled "ASC clone.  Trying to get WiFi working."  I have that in the RPi now and have the GUI display working well enough to access the WiFi setup which is now set up and set to the correct PW, which was wrong.  It recognises the AP and shows full signal strength.  But I can't connect to it from Mint - the connection is not listed in the router Client list.

Gina can you ping the rpi from your mint machine?

if so type nmap -p22 192.168.x.x where x is ip address of your rpi

this will tell us if port 22 is open on rpi 

46 minutes ago, Gina said:

There is no WiFi card - WiFi is provided by an Access Point which is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.  Router connects to computer via Ethernet cable.

Ah, now i see. I miss expressed myself then. That command was to be used on your rpi not on your desktop.  

Sorry for not noticing before.  

46 minutes ago, Gina said:

I've been looking through my original Rpi Indi topic. Quite a lot of stuff in there from you Gina. I gave up when I realised my ASI120MC wouldn't work with it.

I'm using the camera to build an ASC using some other software - https://github.com/thomasjacquin/allsky  It's a pretty good suite and works out of the box.

Still working on the enclosure but other things keep getting in the way :D

My ASC has been suffering from damage lately as you may have seen in another thread.  And I seem to be suffering from a bout of uselessness!

Found the 5" LCD display for the RPi and connected it.  This gives the right size picture (actually slightly less wide than the screen but everything is accessible).  Still needs keyboard and mouse/trackball though.

Archived