Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

mislav

Optimal (minimal) altitude for planets

What would be minimal optimal altitude of planets for good views?? For examlpe jupiter will be about 20° altitude rhis summer.. i know its not best,but is is worth to try to see it or it will be to low and to bad???

From my location, in general, I find that 30 degrees or over starts to give good results . Lower altitude can still give nice images so it's always worth a look. Smal high quality telescopes seem to fare best at low angles.  ?

• Like 1

I think we amateur astronomers are quite good at making the best of less-than-optimal conditions and target positioning so I always feel it's worth having a look but not being too critical of ourselves or our equipment if the results are not quite as good as they could be when all factors are very good. Sometimes you can get great views despite adversity and those are very rewarding :smiley:

If we wait for optimal circumstances, we might have a long wait. Who would have predicted a planet-wide dust storm on Mars through much of last years opposition for example ?

Got to grab the opportunities when we can :smiley:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

During my extensive planetary observations, I have discovered there is an absolute minimum altitude below which results are marginal at best.

It rather involves the height of the neighours' houses.

:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Ive found that some planets fare better than others at low altitude. Jupiter can lose much of its intricate detail when low down, though never assume its not worth taking a look. You never know if the atmosphere will be stable enough to allow for a good view. I made over 30 good observational sketches of Mars in 2015/16 when it was about 15° and bouncing off the roof tops of neighbouring houses. It was well worth the effort! Steady morning air can sometimes offer better results than in the evening, and you might have observing sweet spots that you could take advantage of. ☺

• Like 1