Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Skywatcher130

Free magazines

I just thought I'd mention this incase it's of use to anyone.  It's certainly the case in Staffordshire and I think in most other counties, that as well as borrowing e-books online through your library,  you can also download for free a huge range of magazines. 

I subscribe to Sky at Night and Astronomy.  You just need your library card number plus a PIN from your library and the RB digital app on your tablet. 

Deb 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use this too,  get my New Scientist on it.   Needs a tablet for decent viewing. 

18 hours ago, Phillips6549 said:

Neither Birmingham nor Solihull libraries have any Astronomy magazines. ?

Download RB Digital and you're all set.  My local library only stocks a few magazine titles.  Using the library app there's access to magazines for every interest and hobby.  The reader is very good.  It can display content as text only which is great for removing all the eye clutter found  in the paper editions. 

The selection of RB Digital magazines  available to you is dependent on your local library (well, the library you subscribe to, to be precise) - mine only has All About Space. They used to have Sky At Night but dropped it a couple of years ago.

NigelM

libraries NI over here. Must be different setup over on the mainland. 

22 hours ago, Guest said:

Download RB Digital and you're all set.  

That's actually what I did.  Unless you're into cameras or fashion there are precious few magazines offered in the app when subscribed to a local library.  Nothing astronomical at all.

Everyone here's afraid of the dark. Wonder they don't start a street and security light magazine,

old Nick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Everyone here's afraid of the dark. Wonder they don't start a street and security light magazine,

old Nick.

Not quite correct Nick. Members here aren't afraid of the dark, it's all our neighbours.

• Haha 1

Many thanks for pointing this out @Skywatcher130 !

I’ve found Hertfordshire provides Sky at Night through RBdigital, and I’m considering it as £5 off the Council Tax each month ? 

Definitely a top astro tip for all to check out.

• Like 1