Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

STF 1037 in Gemini

AN's Double Star of the month (or Deep Sky Challenge) for March.

Quite an easy one to find by star hopping from Castor, despite the wispy cloud moving across last night which made observation a bit on/off, and the pair which are mags 7.2 and 7.3 sometimes difficult to find in the RACI. The temperature was dropping fast too, from the daytime 14 degrees to sub-zero later on, adding another challenge. Overall estimate of seeing, good about 4/5, with nearly complete diffraction rings around bright stars.

At x270 (10mm Baader Ortho, 180 Mak) the pair appeared like car headlights seen from a distance, close, equally bright but with clear space between them, and with the axis of the pair just off E-W. To me, the colours were white with a faintly yellowish hint perhaps. An Aberrator simulation (very close to visual view):-

stf1037.jpg

Also in March's AN is Algieba (Gamma Leonis) - truly glorious last night with rich gold and slightly white-gold colouration. At high mag (x270 and x450), the pair were yards apart with beautiful shimmering diffraction rings. An older image I took with a webcam and smaller Mak (127):-

Chris

algiebab.jpg

53 minutes ago, Pig said:

Nice one Chris.... I seem to have picked a cold up from nowhere yesterday and even though we had cleanish skies last night I couldn’t quite get myself to get the scope out.

Commiserations! My grandsons generously donated one to me last week, which kept me indoors for a few nights.

Chris

1 hour ago, Paz said:

Very nice. I've never heard of that abberator software before. I'm going to see if I can get it working on my lap top, and the website looks really useful.

It is very easy to set up and use ( Win 10 ) even if it is a bit 19th century. 

Chris

Just tried STF1037 in the Mewlon and got it at a similar mag, x263 with a 9mm BGO. Seeing was a bit variable, but when it stilled I got a similar view to the one you described Chris, two headlights in the right orientation. Nice little challenge and I think that's the first time I've split a sub 1" double. Thanks for the tip off!

Congratulations on splitting your first sub 1 arcsec double!

How do you find the Mewlon as a planetary and double star scope Stu? They have a fearsome reputation for optical quality I believe! I wonder how they compare with say a C9.25?

Chris

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Congratulations on splitting your first sub 1 arcsec double!

How do you find the Mewlon as a planetary and double star scope Stu? They have a fearsome reputation for optical quality I believe! I wonder how they compare with say a C9.25?

Chris

Thanks Chris! Pretty chuffed I must say.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the Mewlon. Optically it is very sharp, and seems to chuck most of the light into the object rather than diffraction rings, so faint stars are easier to pick up. There are very obvious diffraction spikes on brighter stars, but below a certain level these are not a problem, and when present they can actually help with reaching focus! So far they have not coincided quite a faint double I've been trying for so have not been a problem.

I've had lovely views of Sigma Orionis plus plenty of doubles including 52 and 32 Orionis which I have not seen before. I have the scope somewhere cool so reaching equilibrium is not a problem, but I do think the open tube design means it suffers less from tube currents than maks or SCTs which I have also kept cool. It just seems to work better and with less effort. I don't even think it is collimated perfectly so there is perhaps even more performance to come.

I'm not sure my C925 was a particularly good one, but I'm seeing more with this Mewlon than I have with most other comparable scopes. I had a C8 Edge which was very good, but I'm definitely seeing more at high power with the Mewlon. My seeing conditions are generally not great from home, but last night I managed STF1037 as already mentioned, but also the much talked about E and F in the Trap were as clear as I've seen from home.

I really want to get the scope away from home where at least the seeing is better and hopefully with less LP. I think it would really fly then! I have a Losmandy adaptor for my Sphinx which is pretty solid and quite easily portable so need to get my bottom in gear and get out there soon!

I'm wary of shiny kit syndrome, stating that this is the best scope I've had, but optically it is right up there and has enough aperture to so some damage ;). Having it on a good goto mount is also really adding to my enjoyment, actually seeing stuff which is hard to find under my skies. I think the FC-100, this Mewlon and the 14" Nichol Sumerian are a pretty awesome trio and cover most bases.

Archived