SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is canon 350d unmoded still good camera for astrophotograpgy??

mislav

I wonder is canon 350d unmoded still good enough camera for good astrophotography... I also have sony nex5n and it does much better images in normal use..also is much beter in dark...but if i lets say imaging andromeda and doing 800iso 30sec exposures, will inages be good enoguh or it will be obciously worse??

Canon 350D is pretty old tech these days but you can certainly use it.

Do not expect to get to much with 30sec exposures but does depend on the lens or scope.
Short exposures need fast optics and good high ISO performance.

To give you an idea here is a widefield taken with a Canon 6D and a 50mm f/1.8 lens @ ISO 1600

Stack of seven 30sec subs no real attempt at processing as it was just a test.

6dha.jpg

On 23/02/2019 at 12:33, mislav said:

I wonder is canon 350d unmoded still good enough camera for good astrophotography

The Simple answer is: it depends! 

Do you already have one? Then by all means use it. That is: if you have a PC and operative System that supports it, because I fear that starting with win7 it was discontinued (but please check). 

If unmodded, it won't show that nice Red you find in the unmodded ones, but it can be proficiently used on Galaxies, clusters and reflection nebulae. With 6.4 micron pixels, the imaging resolution won't be great without a long focal length, but not hideous... On M31 it will work just fine. 

But if you have to buy one, look elsewhere. 

Fabio

Archived