Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Xiga

Horsehead Nebula (short stacked but what the heck)

Between the clouds, moon, neighbour's roof, nearby floodlights, and all the usual general life stuff, i've simply not been able to get any meaningful data on the HH (or Orion for that matter either) for the last 2 years! To say it's been my nemesis would be an understatement. At this rate i'll be glad to have that box ticked proper before i hit 50 ? 

So when we had a few hrs of clear sky (and no moon) a couple of weeks back i knew i had to give it a go. I luckily managed 9 x 7mins before it disappeared behind the neighbour's roof. I also have 5 subs of Ha (90 mins in total) from last March, although it wasn't of great quality (there was a nearly full moon right beside it, plus the neighbour's fire smoke was billowing up through the Fov ? ). 

I've been waiting patiently for more clear skies to add to this, but that 's not working out too well, lol. I really shouldn't be processing this, but all work and no imaging makes Ciaran a dull boy, so here goes nothin...

9 x 7mins with an IDAS-D1

4 x 1200s and 1 x 900s of Ha

~2.7 hrs in Total

Stacked in APP and processed in PS. Lots of heavy lifting needed in PS, and i've reduced it to 50% in size as well. 

For now, at least, this will have to do. There's a lot of good HH's about so hopefully this one's not too hideous! ? 

I'll post what the 2 raw stacks looked like below as well, just for kicks. 

166090819_MyHH50.thumb.jpg.411d7e0ecc867a960c54b6ef76aae32d.jpg

Here's the 9 x 7 mins raw stack (with DDP stretch):

St-avg-3780.0s-LNMWC_1_3.0_none-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RL-noMBB-lpc-cbg-csc-St.thumb.jpg.4e7cb9597a8861f0c388bc9e00889522.jpg

And here's the ~90min Ha raw stack:

St-med-5699.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-Ha-RL-noMBB--180degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS-lpc-reg-St.thumb.jpg.2391de84bbe0269e665a5a94e0379cc4.jpg

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 23

2 hours ago, Xiga said:

At this rate i'll be glad to have that box ticked proper before i hit 50

Box well and truly on its way to being ticked I would say.

• Like 1

You've done a great job with your limited integration time. It's proving very difficult to gather any meaningful amount of data with the weather the way it's been for the last couple of months. I've been trying to gather data for this target since December. Looks like some clear skies tonight.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2019 at 05:31, AstroAndy said:

Considering everything, it came out pretty well. :)

On 22/02/2019 at 05:49, Demonperformer said:

Box well and truly on its way to being ticked I would say.

Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

You've done a great job with your limited integration time. It's proving very difficult to gather any meaningful amount of data with the weather the way it's been for the last couple of months. I've been trying to gather data for this target since December. Looks like some clear skies tonight.

Thanks Richard. It was an 'interesting' one to process that's for sure! 

Ps - you're right about tonight, the forecast is good. Unfortunately family commitments prevent any imaging for me tonight. Typical, there's always something with this target ??

Great looking image! I would be proud of that result if I had achieved it.  Was this with your SW80ED?

• Like 1

On 22/02/2019 at 04:16, Xiga said:

For now, at least, this will have to do. There's a lot of good HH's about so hopefully this one's not too hideous

I wish I could shoot something that hideous from home! 

Nice pic. ?

Fabio 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2019 at 13:54, jstrandberg said:

Great looking image! I would be proud of that result if I had achieved it.  Was this with your SW80ED?

Thanks @jstrandberg . Yes i took this with my SW80ED and x0.85 FF/FR. 

On 25/02/2019 at 14:17, FaDG said:

I wish I could shoot something that hideous from home! 

Nice pic. ?

Fabio 

Lol, thanks Fabio. I guess i've seen too many awesome versions of this target that it's hard to have realistic expectations, no matter what the data ?

On 25/02/2019 at 14:47, dweller25 said:

Fantastic images ???

Cheers David ?