Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got a second hand PST and need help with a replacement ERF filter

astrorg

Hi

I have got a PST and I noticed to work 'generally OK' on prominences, but when I focus on surface I can only 'clearly' focus on the 'circular helo' line you see on this attached image.

I believe the filter within the ocular receptacle is an ERF - correct?

1. Where can I find info on replacing it - I am a DIYer - so, I generally need the inside info to get on with it!

2. Where do I buy and which one without getting a mortgage? ;p[

I already spent all I had to get this PST.
I am just trying to get into Solar as well, to enhance the experience - I actually do like The Sun, but never had the chance to do it properly and only played with a white light filter a few years back.

If it is too expensive I will have to return it.

Thank you in advance expert guys.
Mauro

ERFd.jpg

I managed to order one ITF from Maier and waiting for it and also in hope there is NO import charges.

In the meantime I played with it a bit to see how my cameras behave with it and I got a few images.

I am constantly learning ... as it should be in any hobby really - it is part of it!

SUN2019FEB27178M3F.jpg

SUN2019FEB27178M4F.jpg

That's good news on the filter then, import duty is black magic whose workings are only known to 3 witches casting spells in the basement at HMRC :grin:

Excellent images, nice of the Sun to stay out long enough to practice on, you'll soon be knocking out solar mosaics :thumbsup:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Received ITF and replaced it.
This morning taken PST to work, as it was sunny.

Tried it visually for about 20 minutes and is 95% better - using a 8-24mm Zoom, a nice arch + smaller prominence on top left.

The only thing left is a bit of 'shading' coming from the tuner, but I guess that should be normal - I am no expert, just a guess.

Looking forward to use it now - if I match home days with sunny days - finally The Sun goes over my garage so, it suddenly added 2 more hours + it comes up over neighbour's house an hour earlier!

I believe you are correct - it is probably due to the Tuning on the sweet spot - will train on that too, ... soon - I think I got it now - I only need practice a lot and hone my skills - as ever..

I will see when I get a few hours of Sun and I happen to be at home [in peace from work!].

Archived