Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar today, Feb 21st

Peter Drew

Hazy sky has just cleared enough to have the first view today. The current extensive filament is putting on a good show with a backdrop of very complex surface detail. I urge others who are observing this object to carefully alter the etalon tuning whilst looking, the changes in the appearance of the filament can be quite significant.   ?

Stop teasing us !  :wink2:

Very hazy and thermally agitated seeing yesterday with plenty of cloud. :crybaby2:

Caught the filament but it looked uneven. :huh2:

Constant high cloud today and freezing! ❄️

Am I having fun yet, Dad?  :icon_rolleyes:

Promised sunny tomorrow!  Mañana?  ?

I shouldn't complain after having three observable days in a row but I look forward to a really clear one without the constant thin haze taking the edge off things.  The filament does appear to be fragmenting and might not last long enough to reach the limb and give us a nice prominence to round off with.   ?

11 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I shouldn't complain after having three observable days in a row but I look forward to a really clear one without the constant thin haze taking the edge off things.  The filament does appear to be fragmenting and might not last long enough to reach the limb and give us a nice prominence to round off with.   ?

Sadly it looks as if you may be right.

At 0930 CET it was reduced to a small 'C' shape.

At 10.00 it was a short straight line and increasingly difficult to find.

Archived