Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW iOptron CEM40 Debut

Jkulin

IOptron have just released photos of their new CEM40, it looks truly gorgeous, no great details available yet, but loads of pictures at: - http://bbs.imufu.cn/thread-779999-1-1.html

image.thumb.png.404182eef2f574473a534bb4f23da362.png

I had to laugh about their comparison photo against the HEQ5, the sticker on the side cannot be repeated on here, but for those interested then check the link out. http://bbs.imufu.cn/data/attachment/forum/201902/06/163335vg943117qqm31qjg.jpg

I know Ian at Altair had mentioned it a couple of times, but I didn't realise that the launch was that imminent.

Weight is about 6Kgs, carrying capacity about 40lb, this has got to be an option for the Travelling Astronomer.

Here's a google translation of the page: - http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.imufu.cn%2Fthread-779999-1-1.html

It will be very interesting to see the prices and options when it is available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It has PE spec of +/- 5 arc sec. I wonder if they have EC version as well (they must).

So out of curiosity does anyone know when they'd update the CEM60 to the same type of worm switch and improved construction?

37 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That is seriously simplistic design!

Yep the design is just like a smaller CEM60, the images seem to indicate that it has encoders on either axis, I do hope so as I may well get this in the future for my travel imaging.

If it is anywhere near as good as the CEM60EC then it really will steal the market place.

2 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Yep the design is just like a smaller CEM60, the images seem to indicate that it has encoders on either axis, I do hope so as I may well get this in the future for my travel imaging.

If it is anywhere near as good as the CEM60EC then it really will steal the market place.

Hi, 

I guess you wanted to say " ... the design is like a bigger CEM25 ... " as here the bearings are between DEC and counterweight shaft. It is the " Z " design. CEM 60 and CEM 120 have the DEC head between the bearings

Rainer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rainer said:

Hi, 

I guess you wanted to say " ... the design is like a bigger CEM25 ... " as here the bearings are between DEC and counterweight shaft. It is the " Z " design. CEM 60 and CEM 120 have the DEC head between the bearings

Rainer

Indeed, I was not even aware CEM25 had that exact design.

3 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Sorry Rainer I don't understand what you mean?

Shafts and bearing positions are different - indeed, CEM25 and CEM40 have Z shape, while CEM60 has bearings on both sides of DEC column

CEM25:

image.png.005bcc8a45088b006e044b7e6d6ac839.png

CEM60:

image.png.854a20d641886fcac28a1597509ec3f9.png

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Hi,

The mount you see there has no encoders as it has black knobs. Encoder equipped CEM mounts all have read knobs for the worm engaging.

More news to come after tomorrow Friday

Do not despair, You will soon get enough info ?

Rainer

• Like 1

Well that does look rather nice...colour me interested...built in polemaster, no dec cable, simple switches instead of clutch release thingies...price and payload will be key. I have the CEM25P which has been pretty good for me...but is payload limited for imaging...

• 2 weeks later...

The only two things really bothering me is the limited latitude range (~60 degrees) as well as operating temperature (-10 degrees C) which makes in unsuitable for most of Scandinavia  ?

Otherwise a very portable and nice looking mount. Looks even better In combination with a red/black tri-pier.  ?

On 08/03/2019 at 07:14, The Admiral said:

It's listed on the iOptron site now too.

https://www.ioptron.com/product-p/7400a.htm

I'm interested in what this mount can do, roll on some user reviews! I see that their 'iPolar' finder scope can align even without sight of the Pole star too, if I read it right.

Ian

Thanks for posting that info... permanent pec, payload capacity of 18kg, ipolar scope which does not need Polaris and through mount cabling of sorts. If I didn't have a CEM25P I'd be all over this!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Looking back on reviews of the iOpton mounts, I note that the 25 has had a bit of stick. How have you found yours?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I really love mine, but it's my first and only mount, so bear that in mind!

It is reliable, tracks well, guides at about 1" RMS consistently, but when I've polar aligned well and reduced the payload, I've guided at 0.4". Nice polar scope, easy to set up, works well with ascom.

Above all it does this while being light - when I bought it I was carrying my stuff down stairs and then another 50 metres to set up and back again every time...I needed a truly portable mount and the CEM25P did that perfectly...a great combination of portability, decent performance and low price. My Astrobin pictures (see my signature) are nearly all using the mount, so you can see for yourself.

The only issue I had was some play in DEC which, as a newbie, I did not detect for a few months...I fixed it with a shim...but not ideal - QC might be an issue.

I'd definitely buy iOptron again although the beautiful CEM40 might not be enough of a payload upgrade for me!

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

In regard to iPolar, it would appear to be a Polemaster licensed to iOptron. And I read a recent post on the CN forum that:

"Contacted iOptron about the iPolar and it will need a computer to work, so pretty well built in polemaster. It will be available for retrofit on other iOptron mounts though. "

Shame, I was rather expecting the device to be integrated into the hand controller, much like with the Celestron Starsense.

Ian

1 minute ago, The Admiral said:

In regard to iPolar, it would appear to be a Polemaster licensed to iOptron. And I read a recent post on the CN forum that:

"Contacted iOptron about the iPolar and it will need a computer to work, so pretty well built in polemaster. It will be available for retrofit on other iOptron mounts though. "

Shame, I was rather expecting the device to be integrated into the hand controller, much like with the Celestron Starsense.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I don't use a hand controller as I control direct from my laptop, there is a procedure within the handset to do a polar alignment but I have never looked that closely, but having just had a read of the 120 manual which is bound to be similar, I found this: -

BrightStar Polar Alignment/Polar Iterate Align

BrightStar Polar Alignment allows you to polar align the mount even if you cannot view the
Celestial Pole.
(1) Level the CEM120 mount and set it at Zero Position. Make sure the telescope is parallel to
the pole axis (R.A. axis) of the mount. If a finder scope is used, adjust it to be parallel to the
telescope optical axis. Turn the mount power on.
(2) Pressing MENU=>“Alignment”=>“Polar Iterate Align”. The HC will display the azimuth and
altitude position of several bright stars near meridian. Select one that is visible with high
altitude as Alignment Star A. Follow the HC instruction to move the Star A to the center of
the eyepiece with the combination of Latitude Adjustment Knob and “◄” or “►” button.
Press ENTER to confirm. Next, select a bright star that is close to the horizon as the
Alignment Star B. Center it using the Azimuth Adjustment Knob and “◄” or “►” button (The
“▲” and “▼” buttons are not used here). Press ENTER to confirm.
(3) The telescope will now slew back to Star A to repeat above steps. The iteration can be
stopped when it is determined that the alignment error is at the minimum. Press BACK
button to exit alignment procedure.
NOTE: The movement of the alignment star in your eyepiece may not be perpendicular but
crossed, depends on its location in the sky.

So effectively not much different from a 2/3 star alingment.

4 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I don't use a hand controller as I control direct from my laptop, there is a procedure within the handset to do a polar alignment but I have never looked that closely, but having just had a read of the 120 manual which is bound to be similar, I found this: -

Thanks, it's good to know that there is likely to be an equivalent to ASPA, though if like me one doesn't want to involve separate computing power it's a bit of a shame the handset couldn't have done the plate solving.

Ian

On 08/03/2019 at 00:56, cfrommen said:

The only two things really bothering me is the limited latitude range (~60 degrees) as well as operating temperature (-10 degrees C) which makes in unsuitable for most of Scandinavia  ?

Otherwise a very portable and nice looking mount. Looks even better In combination with a red/black tri-pier.  ?

I think they have somehow to set some figures. If you are really interested why not talk to them in order to get more info ?

Perhaps a dealer who wants to bring one over and test it ?

One thing is the writing and the other is the real world use ...

Edited by Rainer

3 hours ago, Rainer said:

Perhaps a dealer who wants to bring one over and test it ?

2 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Well in the UK, the sponsor of this site, FLO, is now listing them.

We will be stocking the iOptron CEM40 and CEM40-EC (the one with RA encoder).

It will be debuted at NEAF next month and shipping to retailers will begin around mid-late April. They say supply of this new mount "will be tight". 

We are happy to make one available for review when they arrive but, considering the current interest in this new mount, I am confident there will be a number of owners posting their experience with it soon after they arrive ? 

Steve 

3 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Well in the UK, the sponsor of this site, FLO, is now listing them.

Ian

Altair Astro have been the main dealers for a long while, so worth giving either him or FLO a call or email.

Edited by Jkulin

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

Altair Astro have been the main dealers for a long while, so worth giving either him or FLO a call or email.

Hmm? I was replying to Rainer's comment, as he lives in Mexico and I expected that he wasn't aware of the UK situation.

Ian