SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging Challenge #19 - SNRs and PNs - Winners

Wow - some absolute stonkers this time. A very clear winner but we had a lot of trouble separating 2nd and 3rd :)

sgl_imaging_challenge_badge_19_gold.png.d9f2f73496996993223e46c1a0b21e75.png

PK 104-29.1 a.k.a. Jones 1 and WD 2333+310 By Petergoodhew

final.thumb.jpg.2ccda7d21244756c25634e39dc3b5f72.jpg

sgl_imaging_challenge_badge_19_silver.png.8d96e7863c4236605fb5503a9cd74a4c.png

M1 - same Crab nebula. With the dob's tube. By alexbb

RGB_HOO_p07_066_crop.thumb.jpg.76a9a0f98d516bd16a40570fc3ef1ca0.jpg

sgl_imaging_challenge_badge_19_bronze.png.0199898d7e44316ad36dc5f8972c9dd6.png

NGC 1514 - The Crystal Ball Nebula By Petergoodhew

131137686_jpegcrop.thumb.jpg.fc478e811442de03d9c3448d9ba0669a.jpg

Cat's Eye Nebula (NGC 6543) By Shibby

1722102981_CatsEyeNebula-BiColour.thumb.png.7828429e142c03cc464c6d5c1841db15.png

42 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I guess I might as well just pack up ...

Just kidding ... great results and congrats to all.

I never even turned up to the party!

Producing work like that takes dedication way beyond anything to which I can aspire.

Well done folks.

Paul

Great stuff all round.

The long extension in the Crab is very rarely seen and was new to me.  Searching images on the net shows how rarely we do see it. (There's an excellent version on Astrobin, Image of the Day, from a big scope. The Astrobin image has the extension in OIII but here its roots, at least, look like Ha. Alex, could you comment?)

I wonder if this is a feature which has appeared fairly recently on the Crab or is amateur imaging just getting to an ever higher standard?

Olly

8 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Great stuff all round.

The long extension in the Crab is very rarely seen and was new to me.  Searching images on the net shows how rarely we do see it. (There's an excellent version on Astrobin, Image of the Day, from a big scope. The Astrobin image has the extension in OIII but here its roots, at least, look like Ha. Alex, could you comment?)

I wonder if this is a feature which has appeared fairly recently on the Crab or is amateur imaging just getting to an ever higher standard?

Olly

Certainly, Olly!

It is possible that I messed the colours in a complete chaotic manner as I had to combine R, G, B, iR, Ha and OIII into 3 colours only. R, iR and Ha went in as red, G and B as green and blue and the OIII more blue than green. But the final colour was altered with SCNR too.

Aside from the colour salad, the extension's roots contain indeed Ha which I tried to highlight.

Below is a comparison of all channels. The OIII layer's background was clean when I aligned it with APP, but for the comparison representation I aligned the cropped area with PixInsight and, for some reason, it decided to render the OIII's background with some Moiré pattern (or is it another one?!). Please ignore that.

Please click on the image to watch it at full resolution.

M1-channels-stf.jpg.7e16349d73d77d73b6aa0457ef69d263.jpg

And here is the original topic: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/326222-m1-in-rgb-ir-ha-and-oiii/

Honestly, I didn't bother to look too much as others' renditions at that time, but I can find the Ha roots too in this video from HubbleESA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9qJFQ0EE8

Or as green here: https://www.astrobin.com/302424/

I don't believe this is a recent development of the Crab nebula, it's just that I wanted to spend as much time as I could to catch it, the challenge was to keep the main nebula tamed down and the extension bright enough to be visible. It was a surprise for me too to see it in Ha too. Maybe next season I will spend some more time on it.

Alex

17 minutes ago, alexbb said:

Certainly, Olly!

It is possible that I messed the colours in a complete chaotic manner as I had to combine R, G, B, iR, Ha and OIII into 3 colours only. R, iR and Ha went in as red, G and B as green and blue and the OIII more blue than green. But the final colour was altered with SCNR too.

Aside from the colour salad, the extension's roots contain indeed Ha which I tried to highlight.

Below is a comparison of all channels. The OIII layer's background was clean when I aligned it with APP, but for the comparison representation I aligned the cropped area with PixInsight and, for some reason, it decided to render the OIII's background with some Moiré pattern (or is it another one?!). Please ignore that.

Please click on the image to watch it at full resolution.

M1-channels-stf.jpg.7e16349d73d77d73b6aa0457ef69d263.jpg

And here is the original topic: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/326222-m1-in-rgb-ir-ha-and-oiii/

Honestly, I didn't bother to look too much as others' renditions at that time, but I can find the Ha roots too in this video from HubbleESA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9qJFQ0EE8

Or as green here: https://www.astrobin.com/302424/

I don't believe this is a recent development of the Crab nebula, it's just that I wanted to spend as much time as I could to catch it, the challenge was to keep the main nebula tamed down and the extension bright enough to be visible. It was a surprise for me too to see it in Ha too. Maybe next season I will spend some more time on it.

Alex

Thanks for this excellent reply. I'm sorry that I missed it when you first posted it. Fascinating.

Olly

Archived