Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead Nebula LRGB

tooth_dr

Here is my final version of the HH, using Luminance from my QHY9 and Red, Green, and Blue from my Atik 383L+

ED80s on EQ6, guided with finderscope and ASI120MM

Data details:

LUM = 67x300s

RED = 25x300s

GREEN = 18x300s

BLUE = 19x300s

APT for data acquisition, and APP and PS to process.

Any suggestions or input welcomed as always. I processed all the channels separately in APP and then combined in PS.  I did minimal processing to the RGB in PS, with the main processing being carried out on the Lum layer in PS.  If anyone knows some tutorials that I could watch I would appreciate it, with respect to combining LRGB data.

(FINALLY I have an HH image ? ).

ATB

Adam

HH_LRGB_01f.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again you are doing such a good job, really lovely.

Alnitak is a b**** to control.. Some of the more seasoned guys on here have some tricks to control problematic stars like that, hopefully they chime in. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it myself, but I am working on it..

Lovely image!

11 hours ago, stepping beyond said:

Awesome detail and nebulosity !

10 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

Fab colours and great image!

Horse head shots are like buses at this time of the year?

10 hours ago, paul mc c said:

Another cracking one mate.

Thanks for taking time to look and comment guys 

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks @jjosefsen ?

I’m learning all the time, and really do like hearing feedback from everyone.  I worry about things like guiding accuracy etc too. 

So am I..

@vlaiv triggered something in me a while ago, in another thread I was reading, which made me rethink just how accurate my guiding actually was.

So have since upgraded my guide scope to a longer focal length to get a better guider/ imager sampling rate. Unfortunately I've been plagued by gremlins and clouds ever since..

20 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Here is my final version of the HH, using Luminance from my QHY9 and Red, Green, and Blue from my Atik 383L+

ED80s on EQ6, guided with finderscope and ASI120MM

Data details:

LUM = 67x300s

RED = 25x300s

GREEN = 18x300s

BLUE = 19x300s

APT for data acquisition, and APP and PS to process.

Any suggestions or input welcomed as always. I processed all the channels separately in APP and then combined in PS.  I did minimal processing to the RGB in PS, with the main processing being carried out on the Lum layer in PS.  If anyone knows some tutorials that I could watch I would appreciate it, with respect to combining LRGB data.

(FINALLY I have an HH image ? ).

ATB

Adam

HH_LRGB_01f.jpg

That’s an excellent result, lovely crisp detail and beautifully framed.

This is a really nice image - my first thought was that the gamma was a little high but I was wrong as adjusting it down in PS made the image look too flat. Nicely done, this is a corker of an image full of detail and colour with very well controlled stars, I love it!

Super. Really!

Like Steve I thought the image a little light. I'd have tried bringing the black point in a tad rather than moving the grey point but haven't tried it. (I may be mis-reading Steve's point here.)

Your L layer was really strong (you posted it separately, I recall.) When this is the case I add it to RGB in Ps in iterations to avoid washing out the colour. The routine is simple:

Paste L over RGB and set opacity to low, 15 to 20%. On bottom layer (RGB) increase saturation a little. Back onto to top layer, add slight Gaussian Blur: 0.6 or so. Flatten.

Repeat this several times and, on the last time, apply the L at 100% and don't apply the Gaussian Blur. All your L sharpness will thus be retained.

If you had Noel's Actions for Ps you could try Local Contrast Enhancement which might bring out more structure in the dust. I only ever use it as a layer, selectively.

Olly

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

super shot....great colour and detail. Alnitak is very well controlled....

Thank you Peter for commenting! Your recent HH image, I’ve went back to view it many times, it is inspiring.

3 hours ago, Ruud said:

That's a wonderful image!

thtoppoints.gif.47be2f48cc0314cc4db55dea4554caa7.gif

Thank you Rudd ????

3 hours ago, tomato said:

That’s an excellent result, lovely crisp detail and beautifully framed.

Thanks Tomato ? ?

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Super job Adam, love the blue stars especially.

Carole 

Thank you Carole for looking and commenting! I like the blue too. 

3 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a really nice image - my first thought was that the gamma was a little high but I was wrong as adjusting it down in PS made the image look too flat. Nicely done, this is a corker of an image full of detail and colour with very well controlled stars, I love it!

Thanks Steve. I made use of your layer masks section in your book, so also thanks for that! It does look light and no matter what I did i couldn’t get it corrected. 

2 hours ago, emyliano2000 said:

Very nice image, so nice and clean.

Well done Adam.

Emil

Thanks Emil ?

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. Really!

Like Steve I thought the image a little light. I'd have tried bringing the black point in a tad rather than moving the grey point but haven't tried it. (I may be mis-reading Steve's point here.)

Your L layer was really strong (you posted it separately, I recall.) When this is the case I add it to RGB in Ps in iterations to avoid washing out the colour. The routine is simple:

Paste L over RGB and set opacity to low, 15 to 20%. On bottom layer (RGB) increase saturation a little. Back onto to top layer, add slight Gaussian Blur: 0.6 or so. Flatten.

Repeat this several times and, on the last time, apply the L at 100% and don't apply the Gaussian Blur. All your L sharpness will thus be retained.

If you had Noel's Actions for Ps you could try Local Contrast Enhancement which might bring out more structure in the dust. I only ever use it as a layer, selectively.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I may have cocked up a bit. I did that technique you described but incorrectly. I was flattening and then blurring. And blurring like 3.0. I’ll go back and try it again. 

22 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Steve. I made use of your layer masks section in your book, so also thanks for that!

I’m delighted that you found that section of some use.

On 20/02/2019 at 20:26, ollypenrice said:

(I may be mis-reading Steve's point here.)

I was thinking more of using the gamma adjustment in the Exposure dialogue box as this can be a powerful way of reducing an overall ‘haze’ in an image. However I felt that more was lost than gained on this occasion!

Archived