Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OK i Want the Redcat Now!

Sunshine

This little thing looks as though it would be a great little imaging scope, i am doing some contemplating, i am just wondering if it would be ok to mount on my GP mount which has tracking and polar scope, i don't see why not.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Available at £650, hmmmm seems a bit pricey.. :)

You may be right, at least on that side of the pond, here it’s $850 CAD, which translates into $496 pounds. I’m guessing the extra 150 pounds is export fees and such.

56 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Just wait for the more honest review by our very own @RayD. Keep an eye out for it on his YouTube channel

? I'm not sure it will be any more honest.  I don't think it is a big secret that Trevor is somewhat WO biased, and often doesn't tell the full story, but he does give some nice reviews.  My review will certainly tell all the points, good and bad.

As soon as it arrives I shall be putting it to work :thumbright:

1 hour ago, LightBucket said:

What was not honest about it...? I assume you own one so please enlighten us... :)

Does he need to own this telescope to have his own opinion on the reviewer and the likelihood of what is usually a heavy biased review of WO kit then?  I assume you own one to confirm this manufacturer sponsored review is accurate then?

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Just wait for the more honest review by our very own @RayD. Keep an eye out for it on his YouTube channel

Yes Astrobackyard is entertaining but I would never buy a piece of equipment because he recommended it.....every single thing he has ever tested is the best thing since sliced bread...he is basically outsourced marketing and very low on true technical information and its getting worse.

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

Yes Astrobackyard is entertaining but I would never buy a piece of equipment because he recommended it.....every single thing he has ever tested is the best thing since sliced bread...he is basically outsourced marketing and very low on true technical information and its getting worse.

Exactly that.  He comes across as, and I'm sure is, a really nice guy, but I have never heard him say a single bad word about anything from WO, which is simply not possible.  I've owned a couple of their OTA's so can definitely confirm that!

He makes great videos and clearly has a talent for videography, and I do enjoy watching them, but if I am looking at a review I want to know the good and the bad.

31 minutes ago, RayD said:

Exactly that.  He comes across as, and I'm sure is, a really nice guy, but I have never heard him say a single bad word about anything from WO, which is simply not possible.  I've owned a couple of their OTA's so can definitely confirm that!

He makes great videos and clearly has a talent for videography, and I do enjoy watching them, but if I am looking at a review I want to know the good and the bad.

Yeah

Ask yourself what are the most important things you want to know about that scope.

1) How flat is the field, what do the corners look like.

2) Is it well corrected for CA?

3) How easy is it to focus with the helical focuser?

4) An example image in high resolution (you can add still frames to video that looks much clearer when you dont pan in causing compression artifacts).

I suspect the reason he does not do that is that it was not a great image that told you little or nothing about the quality of the scope, pause it and take a look at the star trailing.

What was his total integration?

Optolong dont make a 6.5nm Filter? (The answer is no they dont its 7nm)

and all that is just for a start.

He answers none of those questions.

Ask yourself what do you know about the scope from his review that you did not know by reading the basic information available on WO's web page?

Adam

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

I think the price is reasonable for a petzval design and if you look at its main competition it fits nicely.

Samyang 135mm f/2 around £450

Canon 200mm f/2.8 around£710

Canon 300mm f/4 around £1,270

Alan

Indeed, Alan.  Add to that things like a screw fit back, meaning you can use it easily with various cameras, internal filter position and the built in graduated rotator and it really does start to make sense as a travel scope.

The only video bloger I can recommend, - is his majesty: -  AaaaaaaaastroBiscuit!!!
if you never seen his vids :)  you have missed a lot!

As per reviews,  - guys, do not be childish :) it is the XXI century and it is the Capitalistic one.... "Trust no one" - especially the one who has a loooooots of "toys" to review on :)

P.S.
@rorymultistorey - thanks a lot!

12 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

The only video bloger I can recommend, - is his majesty: -  AaaaaaaaastroBiscuit!!!
if you never seen his vids :)  you have missed a lot!

As per reviews,  - guys, to not be childish :) it is the XXI century and it is the Capitalistic one.... "Trust no one" - especially the one who has a loooooots of "toys" to review on :)

P.S.
@rorymultistorey - thanks a lot!

Lol,lol....absolutely ??

15 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

As per reviews,  - guys, do not be childish :) it is the XXI century and it is the Capitalistic one.... "Trust no one" - especially the one who has a loooooots of "toys" to review on :)

Reviews are essential, and brilliant if they are just that. 

The point being made earlier is that much of the material from AB now isn't reviews at all, it's sponsored advertisements which are a long way from reviews.  To be fair to Trevor, he does now declare the interest in WO (he never used to) so you are aware the video is sponsored by the manufacturer, and who wouldn't want to receive all these goodies from them without having to pay a penny?

Anyway, back to the OP (apologies @Sunshine for it being sidetracked), this looks like it is going to be an awesome portable instrument, and it is great to see it on the SA in this video as I think that is what many people see it being used with.  

A real winner I hope.

12 minutes ago, RayD said:

Reviews are essential, and brilliant if they are just that. 

it only means, you are stuck in the XX century...

Reviews, - are the par of the business advertising model in our days... Just check amazon for "Nails" as example. They WILL have reviews! can you imagine someone wasting time reviewing Nails?

:) 

More or less real reviews are direct comments/questions from users in the forums.... Especially problematic ones like "130PDS focuser problem" or 80ED coma and etc.

If someone is a bit more patient, - simply must wait for others to buy the "red luring toy" and start posting images and/or questions how to sort one problem or another :)

P.S.

Red color, - the color of sales... usually cheap ones to sell fast... just like ZWO, - red, cheap, problematic, - but affordable and probably worth £ per pixel :) 

Lets hope RedCat will be a new affordable Flagship :) 

Archived