Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

smr

Where to get a DSLR modified?

Hi,

I am currently still deciding what to do with regards cameras. Ultimately I want to buy a 1600MM Pro Mono and Filters or similar, but that's going to cost upwards of £1k. 

So in the meantime until I get such funds for that I think I may buy a 700D or similar (my first DSLR was a 700D which I sold to my Dad before I got into AP so I know it well). I just think imaging Ha nebulae is too time consuming with my unmodified Canon 80D, which I can still use for all other non-Ha targets anyway. But for Ha targets I just think I'll be happier with a camera that can pick it up easier. 

Buy the time I do buy a mono CMOS camera I'll be able to sell the 700D anyway so I'll probably have only lost around £50 if I sell it later this year.

If I do buy one who is a reputable and trusted person to send it to for modifying, and would you recommend a full spectrum mod or just the IR cut? 

Edited by smr

I've just sold my 600D!!

You can buy them modified from Juan at Cheap Astrophotography or if you already have a camera and you want to get it modified he can do it for £75.

Emailed Juan twice in the last 3 weeks to see about modifying my DSLR, no reply 😔

Just now, Hughsie said:

Emailed Juan twice in the last 3 weeks to see about modifying my DSLR, no reply 😔

He's usually very reliable.  He may just be on holiday.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Michael. I have read good reviews of his work and had personal recommendations as well so will follow up.

Edited by Hughsie

Juan did mine did take a while replying he was holidaying at home in spain and kids are off this week so may be he is off too (he is a teacher )  

I'm about to list my trusty 1100d full spectrum mod this weekend (modified myself) on here and ebay, and I'll include a couple of batteries and an SD card. Also has a hot shoe adapter to mount a RDF. Bit of damage to the case where I forgot to remove a screw and got a bit forceful (was the first camera I modified), but doesn't impact on use. Infact I'll argue it will improve airflow ;) 

Looking for £120 inc delivery. I can include a zoom lens and hoya IR/UV filter for another £20.

Otherwise I'm about to modify a pristine 1300d, again full spectrum, and will be looking for £220inc delivery