SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Diagonal?..

Paul73

Hi Guys

I’ve just “accidentally” bought a Skywatcher ED 72mm APO. Having just collected 3 ES 82° eyepieces, today is a good day!???. However, this little lovely doesn’t come with a diagonal, so I need to buy one.

I’ve never bought a diagonal before. It will be visual only, using 1.25” and 2” eyepieces and shouldn’t cost the earth. Any recommendations for a good budget item that would fit the bill?

Paul

I have two 2" diagonals, a TeleVue a William Optics, and I can't see the difference. I also have two 1.25" ones by William Optics, and they seem just as fine.

Dielectric diagonals have my preference. You really don't have to worry about cleaning: there is no delicate coating that you have to be careful with.

A dielectric layer is very hard, scratch resistant and will not dull after repeated cleaning.

For a semi-apo this violet-reducing diagonal is best optically but it's currently out of stock:

https://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-2-99-Dielectric-Deluxe-Mirror-Diagonal.html

I don't know if your optical tube was delivered with a 1.25" adapter; if it's not the diagonal can be had with that adapter for 10€ more. However you might insist on a click-lock system or a particular look; so the others are good choices, too, especially if the 365 diagonal can't be restocked soon. The APM equivalent does have a standard click-lock attachment but they charge a lot more.

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/de/optisches-zubehoer/zenitspiegel--prismen/apm-2-zoll-zenitspiegel-schnellverschluss-99--di-elektrischer-verspiegelung.html

35 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Does anyone know the difference between Dielectric and Non-Dielectric?

Non-dielectric include aluminum, enhanced aluminum, and silver mirrored surfaces.  Then there are the prism based diagonals which don't use a mirror at all.

Dielectric mirrors do not use reflective materials. No aluminium, silver or whatever.

They rely on constructive interference from many thin, transparent layers. Fifty or more transparent layers.

Reflectivity is typically 99%.

Archived