Narrowband

M106 - Luminance Data

The-MathMog

Cloudless nights has been sparse the last 6 months since I got my new ZWO ASI 183MM-PRO. Probably just the prophecy holding true! ;)

But I just had two nights last week where I could get some hours in during the moonless part of the night. Unfortunately my rig had some issues on the first one, so only got like 40 minutes in, but then almost 4 hours the next night. Unfortunately I had to go to work the next day, so had to pull the plug early..

Gear:
Skywatcher 150PDS
Celestron Advanced VX Mount
ZWO ASI 183MM-PRO
Baader 2'' Neodymium Filter
Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
ToupTek Camera G-1200-KMB Mono Guider
Orion Mini 50mm Guidescope

Image:
4 hours 24 minutes of total luminance integration time
24 subs of 2 minutes gain 300
54 subs of 4 minutes gain 111 (unity?)
Brightness/Offset 40
Calibrated with Darks and Flats

Software:
Sharpcap
PHD 2
Photoshop CS2
Deep Sky Stacker
Stellarium/Stellarium Scope
Astrotortilla

There were some rotational difference between the two sessions, so the image had to be cropped even further. Not happy with the star shapes either, but that is most likely due to me not being able to set the proper distance between the coma corrector and the camera. This is something I've fixed afterwards, so I am keen to test that out, as I should have nailed down the 55mm optimal distance.

This week I got a ZWO EFW Mini with RGB filters too, so hopefully I get a few clear nights soon so I can add some delicious colors to it too.

And just for fun, I've attached the stacked and processed 48 minute image I had after the first night.

The background might be slightly clipped, but aesthetically that looks more pleasing to me than a more grey-ish background. I will probably do the processing from scratch when I get some rgb data on it.

2019-05-02---M106---BW-Proc.jpg

48 minute image

M106-Fully-Calibrated-and-P.jpg

Still a lot of detail in the short image, but when zooming in the noise is a lot worse, and I did really have to process the "S**T" out of it! :D

On 19/02/2019 at 16:04, MartinB said:

Excellent work.  The composition of the image is perfect!

Thank you very much Martin. These two only barely fit in the frame at this rotation. If I were to do it again from scratch sometime, I think I'd rotate the field like 20 degrees clockwise.

Can't wait to add some color to it, and maybe even some HA if time lets me! :D

Archived