Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Marvin Jenkins

Hi everyone.

First time on here, wanted to say hello. Took up astronomy Oct 2017 after I was bought an Orion 130 st on an eq2.

Originally from the UK but now live in Sw France. Recently upgraded my mount to a SW NEQ5 pro goto and what a difference.

I live in a rural area and nearest village (3k) turns it’s lights off at 23:00 so I have fantastic skies with the exception of the direct south with a little distant light glow.

Love the SGL site, learnt a lot already from all the posts.

Marvin

Welcome to SGL Marvin.  Seems you live in a very nice place.  Great skies too, highly desirable for observing and, or Deep Sky imaging. Keep in touch on your sessions, we like to read good reports.    If you need any assistance at all, just post up what you need,  and help and advice will follow.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Ron.

Thanks everyone, I have been looking at the site for just over a month and can’t believe how friendly and helpful people are. Just wanted to say one thing about the title sponsor FLO. Bought my latest upgrade kit and extras and they were terrific.

I have no connection to the company so gain nothing from the recommendation but I will continue to use there services.

completely clear skies right now but the full moon is so bright I could read a book outside at one in the morning.

19 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Marvin

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

John

Thanks for the forum reply. Thought I would say hello as my brother lives in Melbourne (for ever, a citizen now) and will one day sample the southern skies.

How is is it south of the equator and what are the challenges. Other than getting a 20 inch dog on an A380.

5 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Thanks for the forum reply. Thought I would say hello as my brother lives in Melbourne (for ever, a citizen now) and will one day sample the southern skies.

How is is it south of the equator and what are the challenges. Other than getting a 20 inch dog on an A380.

Marvin

I am approximately 2000kms  north of Melbourne, even through did my high school days there

It is another 2000kms further north of me to Cairns

Not sure how U going to put mount for 20" dob on a A380

We go to Fiji a fair bit, to visit my partners extended family, as they went from India to Fiji in the 1880's to establish the sugar cane industry, and thought about taking my 10" dob

Logistic nightmare, and not sure how much be charged for excess luggage, and mount would even arrive undamaged

Piece of Trivia

Expanse of Australia 

In the 1950's, the British did nuclear testing in Central Australia, place called Maralinga

Reason they chose Maralinga, if you superimpose Australia over Europe

Sydney is Moscow, and Perth is London

Maralinga would had been Berlin

During the cold war, when Russia occupied West Berlin, and allies East Berlin, Berlin Wall was built, if an atomic device had been detonated on Berlin, would had measured nuclear fall out over Europe

I've noticed a few French members saying that their street lights get turned off late in the evening.  Seems a most sensible and civilised idea to me.  I wish someone in power over here would decide that it was a good idea.

James

Archived